The holidays and all of the delicious eating that goes with them are upon us! In preparation I've been playing with a few recipes and rounded up my favorite uses for puff pastry. These 5 things you can make with puff pastry met my criteria by being easy, yummy and quick to make! Some are for grown-up tastebuds (no sharing) and some are perfect for kids. All of them perfectly go along with any holiday dinner and can be made ahead of time or use leftovers for the afterparty.
1. The Kids Favorite:
These Parmesan Puff Stars will easily make you the favorite mom/dad/aunt/uncle/grandma/grandpa at Thanksgiving. These are kid-tested and approved and are not only fun to eat but fun to make! If you're looking for an appetizer that your 8 year old can be in charge of, this is it!
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll out the puff pastry sheet onto a floured surface. Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out individual pastry stars and place half of them them on the baking sheet. Add parmesan cheese and top with another puff pastry star. Using the beaten egg, apply a thin layer of egg wash to the top of each pastry star. You can sprinkle a little cheese on top if you want.
3. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the stars are puffed and golden. Serve immediately or keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
2. The Fancy Appetizer
If you're having a more formal family get-together these Meatball Wellington's are so easy to make and so pretty to put on a plate! They are also kid-approved and would make the perfect appetizer to a multiple course dinner. I could not believe how easily they came together and how impressive they look when they're done!
- Thawed puff pastry, cut into 4-inch squares
- Meatballs (link includes meatball recipe, or Costco's work great!)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg, beaten
- Tomato sauce, for serving
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Flour your work surface. Place puff pastry squares onto surface.
3. Add a heaping tablespoon of shredded mozzarella onto center of pastry square. Place meatball on top of the cheese.
4. Wrap puff pastry around meatball. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with egg wash.
5. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Serve atop tomato sauce, and garnish with parsley.
See More: Easy 3 Ingredient Appetizers
3. The Standard Favorite:
What is a party without spinach dip? I opted to make these Creamy Spinach Roll-Ups with pre-made spinach and artichoke dip but the recipe links back to a homemade version.
1 Box of Puff Pastry Sheets (2 Sheets)
1 Tub Spinach + Artichoke Dip (link has homemade recipe)
Recommended for You
1. Unroll Puff Pastry Sheets and Brush both sides with Egg.
2. Spread Cream Cheese and Spinach Mixture over one side of the Puff Pastry.
3. Roll Up the Puff Pastry and Slice with a sharp Knife.
4. Place rolls on a Baking Sheet and bake at 400 Degrees for 20 Minutes or until the Puff Pastry turns a golden color.
The Spicy Favorite:
I love a good jalepeno popper and these are exactly that! These JALAPEÑO POPPER PIES blend cream cheese, pepper jack and jalepeno perfectly with the fluffy crispy puff pastry. So yummy and the kids don't usually love them (spicy) so more for me!
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
2 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 package Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Stir the cream cheese, pepper Jack cheese and jalapeño peppers in a medium bowl.
2. Unfold 1 pastry sheet on the work surface. Using a round cutter, cut the pastry sheet into 12 (2-inch) circles. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet.
3. Spoon about 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture in the center of each of 12 pastry circles. Brush the edges of the pastry circles with the egg. Place the remaining pastry circles over the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Brush the filled pastries with the egg and sprinkle with the salt. Using a sharp knife, cut small slits in the tops of the pastries. Place the pastries on the baking sheets.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Let the pastries cool on the baking sheets on wire racks for 10 minutes.
See More: 5 Easy Appetizers For New Year’s Eve
5. Perfect for Leftovers
If you never know what to do with leftover cranberry sauce, this recipe is for you. These 3-Ingredient Cranberry Brie Bites make the yummiest little appetizers and quickly use up any leftover cranberry sauce you might have after a big Thanksgiving dinner. If you know you won't possibly eat what you have, you could even make them along with your dinner. And if you've never made cranberry sauce from scratch check out this recipe-it's impossibly easy and so delicious!
- 1 package frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1/2 lb Brie cheese
- 1 cup Cranberry Sauce (purchased or homemade)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the sheets into approximately 3 inch x 3 inch squares. Press each square into a muffin cavity.
2. Cube the cheese - about a 3/4 inch cube for each. Place a cube of brie in the center of each puff pastry square. Top the brie with a small dollop (about 2 tsp) of cranberry sauce.
3. Bake 10 minutes or until puff pastry corners are toasted lightly brown.
4. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Have any other favorite puff pasty appetizers? Share with us below!
See More at TodaysMama.com!