If you are like me, letting the kids go hog-wild with the sugar just isn’t an option. Every fiber in my being rebels against it!
However, with the holidays coming up, there is no better time to make and share some homemade goodies! And if it uses up a little bit of that leftover Halloween candy, that is just a bonus!
My kids’ favorite is the Tootsie Roll Fudge. Very easy to make, but very rich so I suggest cutting the pieces small!
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons butter,divided
- 2 cups Tootsie Roll Midgees
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup green and red M&M’s
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, melt the Tootsie Rolls, peanut butter and remaining butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla (mixture will be very thick). Fold in pecans.
- Spread into prepared pan. Using a sharp knife, score the surface into 1-in. squares. Press a M&M’s candy into the center of each square. Cool. Using foil, remove fudge from pan; cut into squares. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.