Is it just us or have you noticed the wave of child friendly tablets hitting the market this year? There's practically an aisle dedicated to them at Toys R Us. We tried out the Kids XO Android Tablet designed and developed by One Laptop per Child. Here's the skinny:
Some of the unique aspects of the XO Tablet:
- Multiple user accounts let up to three users customize their own tablet
- Parents can monitor each child’s usage and educational progress as they master various skills.
- Allows children career dreams via games, apps, videos, e-books and other content
- The device comes preloaded with content from some of the most highly regarded sources in the industry, including Scholastic, Barnes and Noble, Oxford University Press, TED and more.
- The only multilingual tablet available for kids
- Tablet is ready to use right out of the box
- MSRP of $149—a tablet that the entire family can use.
- 7" Screen Size
- 1024 x 600 Screen Resolution
- 8 GB Storage
- Android 4.2 Operating System (Jelly Bean)
- 1 GB RAM
- 802.11 Wi-Fi
- 2.0 MP Camera
- 7.5 Hours of Battery Life
- Over 100 apps are included (content value over $200)
- Bumper case and charger included
The technical specs add up and compete with everyone else in the space. We love how much this tablet comes loaded with. From apps from the brands we love and trust to their educational approach to their exploratory and dream features we think the content is high quality. We let the kids give the tablet a run and instead of trying to login to Netflix or beg for downloads they were immediately engrossed in what was all ready there. The standout feature is definitely the content.
Let's be honest, we also love the colorful bumpers.
Where to Buy
The tablet retails at $149, but we've noticed sale prices from $120-$129