And the gluten-free angel food cake love continues (if you missed our gluten free chocolate chip angel food cake, click here). This gluten free pumpkin angel food cake is the perfect dessert for fall! The caramel drizzle really tops off the sweet pumpkin spice flavor of this light and airy angel food cake. You would never know it was gluten free!!
This cake pairs perfectly with a cup of warm cocoa and a nice fire. It's well balanced between the heaviness of the caramel and lightness of the cake with swirls of pumpkin goodness. It's the exact dessert you want on a crisp fall day.
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- 2/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 16 Large Egg Whites
- 1-1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2/3 cup Superfine Sugar (granulated also works, it just takes A LOT longer to turn to meringue)
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. (If you have a sifter, it's not a bad idea to sift them all together).
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment beat: egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium-high speed. Slowly add in the superfine sugar. After about 5 minutes, soft peaks will form. Next turn mixer on high speed and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy. Transfer to a large wide bowl.
- Add flour mixture and pumpkin in about 4 different batches, folding in gently with a rubber spatula. Don't be aggressive here, or you could potentially deflate the meringue! Make sure all the flour is evenly distributed. It's okay if there are a few pockets of pumpkin.
- Put in a 10” ungreased tube pan with the bottom lined with parchment paper. Smooth top with a spatula & bake for 50 minutes on the middle rack. Cake will be golden brown once baked completely and should spring back when touched.
- Invert cake pan on a bottle to cool at least one hour. Using a long knife, cut around sides & center post of cake to loosen cake from pan. Then turn upside down & remove cake. Let finish cooling on a rack in the open air.
- Serve with caramel sauce and whipped cream!