That my husband and daughter are here may be the biggest, but Virginia itself also holds a large piece of my heart.
Here are the top 10 reasons why Virginia is awesome, and why I love where I live.
- Virginia’s next door neighbors are North Carolina, DC, Maryland and West Virginia. It’s just as varied as the western states, but I don’t have to brag about it quite like my Utah or Colorado friends do. With mountains in the west and an ocean to the east, I still feel like I could never venture more than 200 miles from home and be perfectly happy here.
- It’s home to more presidents than any other state. Which means Virginia’s got tons of history. In fact, I just discovered another historic home last week. You can bet I’ll be back there this summer.
- Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. My husband once got a speeding ticket “on a road that bears frequent” according to the National Park Police– but we didn’t see any on that day or any other we’ve been. One of the funniest memories from a rainy camping trip.
- The colonial feel with places like Old Town Alexandria, Middleburg, Fredericksburg and Williamsburg— to pick a few.
- The food. You’ve got great southern grub, great apple doughnuts as well as refined cuisine. This state has made me into a self-proclaimed foodie (No grilled cheese sandwich is quite like the one from here).
- The shopping. Tysons Corner gets me every time. Along with the antique shops in Fredericksburg, the Goodwills along Route 1 and various outlet malls. There wasn’t much like it around where I grew up.
- The gardens. My grandma instilled a love for flowers in me that has never faded. My new favorite: River Farm.
- A few of the trails- Mount Vernon Trail, W&OD Trail, Burke Lake… I could be walking, biking or running for days here.
- Virginia is for history lovers. I swear you can’t drive more than two miles without running into some historical site. One of my favorites being Historic Jamestowne.
- Even on its most humid days, you can travel an hour or two and pick berries, walk through a historic main street, get a custard cone, sit on the beach or watch a horse race.
Virginia is beautiful. Virginia is home. Virginia is for lovers. Virginia is full of friends. It’s all why I love where I live.