It took scaling a volcano, a boat ride, and a couple of hours on a dirt road up a mountain to get there, but it was worth every mile. The kids didn't complain once about the travel to get there and for some crazy miracle no one got car sick. Monteverde feels like Costa Rica's version of Park City. A very cool mountain town with lots of character.
The Low Down
- Rates: $111 - $250 per night depending on the time of year (more info on rates and room types) You can also choose between a view of the rain forest or a view of the Gulf of Nicoya. We chose the rain forest view.
- On Site Activities: We could have sat on our deck and taken in the view for hours at a time. We loved hitting the hot tub after our day on the ziplines. The restaurant at Hotel Belmar had a bit more formal dining. Their granola and breakfast buffet was top on our list.
- Tours and Excursions: Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Santa Elena Reserve, The Children's Eternal Rainforest, Monteverde Coffee, Frog Ponds, Canopy Zipline Tours, Quaker Cheese Factory, Horse Back Riding
- Sustainability: Hotel Belmar has uses a biodigestor as well to produce energy and avoid dirty water contaminating the soil. They use natural fertilizers and cleaning products. They've got a big focus on purchasing local materials and food. They also reinvest in their community in the form of health and youth programs.
- When to go: I'm going to say May! That's when we went. We had great weather (it's a little chillier there) and had the Canopy and Cloud Forest tours to ourselves for the most part. We went right in the transition window from dry to wet season. We definitely needed to have sweatshirts with us in the evening, but were still good in t-shirts during the day.
- Our Favorite Things: Ziplining above the cloud forest was amazing. I loved that everyone got to do the zipline (including the 3 year old). We spent a day at Selvatura Park and walked the Tree Top walkways, went through the butterfly and hummingbird gardens, and of course did the canopy zipline.
Would We Go Back?
- Another definite YES. If I were to do it again I'd be sure to stay longer and hit more local restaurants in Monteverde. I would have also liked to go tubing on the river on the volcano and do the cheese factory tour. We didn't spend enough time here!
Other Costa Rica Reviews: