I have no excuse for not going to the Carlsbad Flowers Fields before yesterday, especially considering my overzealous love of flowers and the fact that I have lived only a few miles down the road for the past seven years.
For some reason, even though I have pointed out the Flower Fields EVERY TIME we drive past, I have never made made it a point to visit until yesterday. Now, I am so glad I finally made the stop! What a little slice of heaven we have here in Carlsbad.
Brightly colored, majestically beautiful Giant Tecolote Ranunculus light up the 50-acre property of these renowned flower fields, so much so that it seems almost like a fake movie scene. It’s hard to imagine that this beauty is not manufactured.
For kids there is a scavenger hunt, a playground and sugar-rush icees at the concessions stand. For adults there is a feeling of pure joy and abundant light. I can’t think of another place that has put me in such a good mood as the Carlsbad Flower Fields, except for maybe Disneyland.
Recommended for You
Here are a few tips before heading out to the flower fields:
- Bring cash. The though there is an ATM inside (which charges an arm and a leg for cash withdrawal), you will want to have some handy for concessions or possibly a ride in the wagons.
- Bring both sunscreen and a light sweater. Since it’s Carlsbad, it’s blazing hot in the sun and chilly in the shade.
- Wear walking shoes. Unless you take the wagon tour, you’ll be walking everywhere.
- Bring a picnic lunch. It’s a perfect place to rollout a blanket and enjoy a little picnic with kids or on a romantic lunch for two.
- Bring your nice camera. It’s a DSLR’s wet dream. I only had my iPhone but I must say it still took some great photos.
The Carlsbad Flower Fields offer group tours, school tours, and a variety of special events. I am really not kidding when I say it is a must see when in Carlsbad and/or Southern California. It is quite a spectacular site to see!