At the National Book Festival sponsored by the Library of Congress you can!
Held September 21-22 this year on the National Mall, artists, authors and poets will help inspire and excite readers young and old.
Last year we went with high expectations of having a wonderful day listening to a few authors and meeting some Sesame Street characters at the National Book Festival. We were not disappointed while listening to the hilarious Jeff Kinney of Diary of a Wimpy Kid fame. My then one-year-old did not care for Abby so much, but loved her temporary tattoo and stickers.
Recommended for You
This year promises to be just as great, with one of my new favorites, Veronica Roth; one of my childhood favorites, John Scieszka; and one of my favorite TV personalities and chefs, Giada De Laurentiis.
We will be heading out on Saturday for a fun family day at the festival making memories and hopefully inspiring our little reader to stick to books like this one.
If you plan to go, pack snacks and sunscreen. There isn’t much shade on the National Mall where the festival is held. Prepare for long lines and crowds at the most popular author speeches. Arrive at your favorites about 30 minutes early, and you will likely be fine. Get to a tent a bit late? No worries, people move in and out, and seats open up.
I loved the National Book Festival last year, and hope it can be one of our family traditions. I want my daughter to know the joy that can come from reading a book!
2013 National Book Festival Information
- September 21-22, 2013; 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. on Saturday; noon – 5:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- National Mall between 9th and 14th Streets
- Getting There: Smithsonian and Federal Center SW on the Blue & Orange lines; L’Enfant Plaza and Archives/Navy Memorial on the Yellow & Green Lines. Limited street parking is available near the National Mall.
- Activities will be going on throughout the festival on both days. Visitors will be able to purchase books, meet authors, poets, and artists. A complete schedule of events and activities is on the 2013 National Book Festivalwebsite.
- Follow the Book Festival fun at @librarycongress