It has always been my dream to hit up a holiday market in Germany, but until I can convince my husband that traveling around Europe in the winter is a good idea– I’ll have to stick to the local scene.
The 8th annual Downtown Holiday Market is going on daily until December 23, this year. Located near the National Portrait Gallery, the event features many different items from more than 180 local crafters, artisans and boutique businesses.
Some of my favorites include:
- J. Chocolatier: A Georgetown shop that prepares everything in small batches. And if I’ve learned anything from my dad (my favorite foodie)- the best things come in small batches. I love their truffles.
- Thomas Bucci: A regular at Eastern Market, I am a big fan of these local watercolor prints. Nothing screams a DC-related gift quite like one of his prints of the National Mall, Capitol Building or Tidal Basin. My mom and Mother-in-Law may have a small collection thanks to me.
- Lil Fishy: ADORABLE children’s clothes and decor. (Dear Sister, please make me an aunt, so I can spoil the baby with one ofthese.)
There are also different performers each day, making it the kind of place you’ll want to linger, and just get caught up in the spirit of the holidays.
Santa will also be stopping by the market on Friday, December 21, at noon, for little ones to get their last minute Christmas wishes in.
It’s probably as close as I’ll be getting to the Christmas markets in Germany… THIS YEAR.
Holidays in the DC Area- 2012
Downtown Holiday Market Information
- Where: Right in front of the Smithsonian American Art Museum & National Portrait Gallery on 8th and F St, NW, Washington, DC, 20004
- Getting There: Nearest Metro: Gallery Place Metro stop (on the Red Line)
- When: Noon to 8 p.m. daily, through December 23.
- Website for More Information: Downtown Holiday Market