Every year we dress in about five layers and head down to King Street to catch some kilts, Scottish Terriers, bagpipes and Santa Claus.
This year will be no exception. Even if we have to dress in six or seven layers. My husband and I love it that much.
Rain, snow and shine, we’ve weathered it all. Originally, five years ago by accident, when taking a drive down to Old Town Alexandria to do some holiday shopping.
Last year we decided to risk it with a cranky baby– who turned out to LOVE the bagpipes and may have discovered her favorite animal (the dog). She was mesmerized for the entire parade. Not one peep from our usually vocal little one.
The parade is actually just one part of the Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend, with several events at the George Washington Masonic Memorial. The Campagna Centerand the Scottish Government host the event in December each year. The weekend’s festivities include a Christmas Marketplace, a Heather & Greens Sale, a Children’s Tea Party, Taste of Scotland, the parade, and a Holiday Designer Tour of Homes. The event draws more than 30,000 participants and spectators each year and is ranked by the Southeast Tourism Society as one of the top 20 events in the Southern U.S.
We’ve been to the Heather and Greens Sale too, which is worth a walk through alone just to enjoy the smells of the holiday season.
The Campagna Center’s Scottish Christmas Walk & Parade Schedule of Events
Friday, November 30:
- Christmas Marketplace, 9 a.m. – 5p.m.
- Heather and Greens Sale, 9 a.m. – 5p.m.
- The Campagna Center Open House, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Deck the Halls with Santa- A Children’s Party, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Taste of Scotland Patron Pub, 7 p.m.
- Taste of Scotland, 8 – 11p.m.
- Christmas Marketplace (for Taste of Scotland guests only) 7 – 10:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 1:
- Heather and Greens Sale, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- The Campagna Center’s Scottish Christmas Walk Parade, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- The Campagna Center Open House, 12 – 5 p.m.
- Massed Band Concert, 1 – 1:30 p.m.
- The Holiday Designer Tour of Homes, 11 a.m. – 4p.m.
- ‘Tis the Season: Music for Chorus and Brass, 8 p.m.
Additional information about individual events can be found here.
All events are held at the George Washington Memorial with the exception of the parade and the Holiday Designer Tour of Homes. The George Washington Masonic Memorial is located at 101 Callahan Drive, Alexandria, VA 22301. Tickets for events can be purchased here.
More Winter Fun: