My yard is covered in snow, there have been more snow days than I can count since January, and we are in full hibernation mode around here. I think my lounge pants are becoming a second skin. Why change? Why get out of the house? We will just get sick again, and really, it’s plain cold.
Summer is never coming in my mind. I don’t think I can even remember what June is like at this point.
June, July and August will come, and then I’ll be looking for ways to keep our family active and out of the house. We will make another summer bucket list, and we will be thaw out in those summer rays.
Recommended for You
If you’re like me and just beginning to make summer plans, there are still plenty of opportunities to find a summer camp, class or lesson for kids. In fact, summer camp fairs bring everything to one place for one-stop shopping.
Here’s a look at a few of the DC area summer camp fairs going on in the coming weeks and months.
2014 DC Area Summer Camp Fairs
- The Northern Virginia Camp & Summer Fun Expo: February 22-23; Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Dulles Town Center, 2100 Dulles Town Circle, Dulles, VA
- Summer Camp & Activities Expo: March 1-2; 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Lakeforest Mall, 701 Russell Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD
- Potomac Mills Camp and Activity FAIR presented by FAMILY Magazine: March 1; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Potomac Mills Mall, 2700 Potomac Mills Circle, Woodbridge, VA
- Arundel Mills Mall Camp and Activity FAIR Presented by FAMILY Magazine : March 8; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Arundel Mills Mall, 7000 Arundel Mills Circle, Hanover, MD
More DC Area Summer Camp & Activities Resources
- Summer Safari Day Camp: Smithsonian National Zoo, Washington D.C. Weeklong sessions from June 23 – August 15 for children K- entering 7th grade. Discounts for FONZ members.
- YMCA: With nearly 20 branches of the YMCA in the DC Area offering camps, there are so many options for kids interested in everything from science to leadership to sport.
- Vacation Bible School: Kids as young as 2 can get a feel for summer camp close to home at nearby vacation bible schools sponsored by churches in the area.
Dreaming of Sunny Weather: Ideas for Your Family’s Summer Bucket List
- Clemyjontri Park: Unique name and unique park that will keep your kids entertained for hours!
- Great Falls Park: Check out the falls and the hiking trails for a taste of the mountains in DC’s backyard
- Burke Lake Park: My shady oasis from the summer heat
- A guide to the DC Area’s Spraygrounds, Pools and Waterparks
- 20 Great Outdoor Games for Kids and Families