My husband is that guy you see at the same– the one keeping score. I am the wife next to him who has no idea how or why he’s doing it.
I love going to the games, and am already looking forward to catching a few Nats games this season.
Here’s when season openers are for DC’s local teams- the well known and off the beaten path favorites.
- April 1 vs. the Florida Marlins, 1:05 p.m. The first 20,000 fans will receive a commemorative cap. An exhibition game against the New York Yankees is also scheduled for Friday, March 29, at 2:05 p.m. The complete season schedule can be found here and tickets can be purchased here.
- Why I love Nationals Park: With great views of the U.S. Capitol from nearly every seat, the park could not be easier to get to. It’s just steps off the Navy Yard-Ball Park metro station, and perfect for a weekday evening game. It’s usually packed with thousands of avid fans at every game, and there are plenty of local food options. I usually get pretty into the Presidents Race, each time pulling for Teddy. Promos are held throughout the season, and $5 tickets are available at the Box Office on game day.
- April 3 vs. the Minnesota Twins at 3:05 p.m. All fans at Camden Yards will receive a 2013 schedule and car magnet. The 2013 schedule is available here, and tickets can be purchased here.
- Why I love the Orioles: Well, you may just call me Brooks. My dad is a huge fan of former Orioles third-baseman, and thus, I became Brooke. The stadium is also something Nationals Park is not– charming.
- April 5 vs. the Lynchburg Hillcats at 7:05 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a Potomac Nationals magnet schedule.
- The Potomac Nationals are a minor-league baseball team affiliated with the Washington Nationals, that plays in nearby Woodbridge, VA. The 2013 schedule is available here.
- Why you should be going to Potomac Nationals Games: $1 General Admission tickets on Monday nights. Get this– hot dogs are also $1 those nights. You have to admit there’s nothing like a ballpark dog with ketchup, mustard and relish.
- April 11 vs. Akron Aeros at 7:05 p.m. A special Happy Hour will be held until 7 p.m.. Six dollars from every ticket purchase will also be donated to Special Olympics Marlyand. Tickets are available here.
- The Bowie Baysox are a minor-league baseball team affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles. The team plays at Prince George’s Stadium in Bowie, MD.
- Bowie Baysox Fans: Every home game has some sort of promotion in April– such as Tightwad Tuesday (two free hotdogs, peanuts and popcorn with a regular priced ticket), Mutt Monday, and Jackie Robinson Day (April 15).
Mid-Atlantic Vintage Base Ball League
- The teams play following the rules, language and uniforms of the 1860s and 1870s. The Mid-Atlantic Vintage Base Ball League will begin its fifth season in April. The entire season is listed here.
- The Capitol Conference has five teams in DC, Maryland and Virginia. Their conference schedule and team information is listed here.
Beyond Baseball in the DC Area
- Head to the National Cherry Blossom Festival. Events last until mid-April.
- Check out one of the nearby gardens, where blooms will be out all season long. Some of them are well worth the drive.
- Check out a current Smithsonian exhibit before it’s gone.
- Serve in your community and help with some spring cleaning.
- Run, run, run. Sign up to run a spring race.