SpokaneMama and Yoke’s Fresh Markethave partnered to bring you some family friendly food advice each month. Find out which fruits and vegetables are in season, learn food tips and tricks, and enjoy a delicious recipe sure to please your hungry family.
Yokes Market knows that children enjoy veggies and fruits. Each month we highlight those that are currently in season.
Veggies in season include: Green beans and tomatoes
Fruits in season include: Raspberries, blueberries, California peaches, nectarines and plums
- Choose beans that are bright green and snap when bent.
- Refrigerate and use within a week of purchase
- Choose nectarines and plums that are firm with a smooth skin
Never tried grilling fruit before? Here is a tasty recipe:
Recommended for You
Recipe: Grilled Summer Fruits
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes
- Nonstick spray
- 3 firm but ripe nectarines, halved and pitted
- 3 firm but ripe purple/black plums, halved and pitted
- 3 firm but ripe red plums, halved and pitted
(You can also use apricots or peaches.)
- 6 metal skewers or thick wooden skewers soaked in water 30 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Heat grill to medium high. Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray.
- Place 1 piece of each fruit on each of 6 skewers so that the cut sides line up and lay flat.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the cut sides of the fruit.
- Let stand until the sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes.
Place the fruit skewers on the grill cut side down. Grill the fruit until it is heated through and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
Enjoy solo or serve with ice cream or crème fraiche.