SpokaneMama and Yoke’s Fresh Market have partnered to bring you some family friendly food advice each month. Find out which fruits and vegetables are in season, learn food tips and tricks, and enjoy a delicious recipe sure to please your hungry family.
Yokes Market knows that children enjoy veggies and fruits. Each month we will highlight those that are currently in season.
Veggies in season include: California corn, local asparagus, and artichokes
Fruits in season include: California strawberries, grapes, and cantaloupes
Recommended for You
- Choose corn with fresh silks and green husks. Be sure the kernels are in tight rows.
- Refrigerate corn and use within 1-2 days of purchase
- When selecting cantaloupes, choose fragrant, symmetrical ones with no visible bruises.
- The stem should give to gentle pressure.
- Wash skin with soap under running water and let air dry before cutting.
- Store uncut fruit un-refrigerated for up to a week.
- Store cut fruit for up to 5 days refrigerated.
Here’s a fun way to prepare corn now that the weather is getting warmer.
Recipe: Grilled Corn on the Cob
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
12 ears of corn with silks removed but husks left on, and soaked in cold water for 20 minutes
1/2 pound unsalted butter, slightly softened
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper
Heat grill to high. Remove corn from water and place on the grill. Close cover and grill about 20 minutes. While corn is grilling, combine butter and dill in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove husk and slather with dill butter.