SpokaneMama and Yoke’s Fresh Market have partnered to bring you some family friendly food advice each month. Find out what fruits and vegetables are in season, get food tips, and find a delicious recipe sure to please your hungry family.
Yokes Market knows that children enjoy veggies and fruits. Each month we will highlight those that are currently in season.
Veggies in season include: Bok Choy and kale
Fruits in season include: Pears, oranges and apples
- Choose oranges that have a thinner skin and are heavy and bright orange.
- Peeling oranges can be a task for kids, so pack sliced oranges with the skin—kids can make those funny orange smiles while they get their vitamin C too!
- Bok Choy is great stir fried with other vegetables and your choice of meat.
- Kale is a tasty green that is nutritious too.
- Look for kale that is deep green and free of blemishes.
Two tasty recipes that you can easily pull together at the end of a busy day.
Recipe: Seriously Good Stir Fry Kale
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 12 minutes Makes 4 side dishes.
Recommended for You
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 cups (firmly packed) torn and stemmed kale pieces
- 2 cans Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Splash of cider vinegar
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, salt, and pepper. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, and stock and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add a splash of cider vinegar in the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is a great side dish to a serving of pork, chicken or steak.
Recipe: Mom’s Minestrone, for real it is…
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Makes 8-10 servings.
Freeze what you don’t eat for hearty leftovers.
- 1 pound Hot bulk sausage
- 1 pound Mild bulk sausage
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 box beef broth
- 1 can veggie stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 can white beans in juice
- 1 can red beans in juice
- 1 can chili beans in juice
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 6 oz shelled noodles
Brown the sausage, then add the celery, garlic, onions. Brown, drain and pat. Add 1 box of beef broth and 1 can veggie stock. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for a minimum of 1 hour. Just before serving add spinach and cooked and drained shell noodles.
Top with shredded parmesan. Add toasted bread for a complete meal.