SpokaneMama and Yoke’s Fresh Market have partnered to bring you some family friendly food advice each month. Find out which fruits and vegetables are in season, learn food tips and tricks, and enjoy a delicious recipe sure to please your hungry family.
Yokes Market knows that children enjoy veggies and fruits. Each month we highlight those that are currently in season.
Veggies in season include: Cucumbers, Green Beans and Radishes.
Fruits in season include: Blueberries, Cherries, and Huckleberries
- Choose cherries that are brightly colored with stems attached.
- Cherries are a good source of potassium and vitamin C.
- Store cherries for up to 10 days refrigerated.
- Choose green beans that are brightly colored and snap when bent.
- Beans are excellent steamed, with a little seasoning salt.
- Add to cooked potatoes to complete a meal.
- Refrigerate beans and use within 7 days of purchase.
Recommended for You
Here’s the perfect summer dessert served hot with some vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Recipe: Huckleberry Cobbler
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45-50 minutes
¼ cup butter
½ cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup milk
2 ½ cups huckleberries
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease the bottom of a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream ¼ cup butter and ½ cup sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into butter mixture. Next, stir milk. This mixture will be thick and lumpy.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, combine berries, ¾ cup sugar and ½ cup boiling water.
- Pour over the batter in the pan. Dot the top with the remaining 1 TBSP of butter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Enjoy cobbler alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream a la mode.