By the end of Christmas day, as I lay on my couch unable to move because of the sugar overdose, gazing upon my house that looks like a tornado went off in it, I can't help but think about 2012 and all that it will bring. At the same time, I'm also thinking about how fast 2011 went by. Here's my 2011 Recap (questions by Erin):
What did you kick to the curb this year?
- Wheat. I've done a pretty darn good job at eating gluten free.
- Phone Addiction. I took email off of my phone so that I wouldn't be hitting the refresh button so much when I'm not working.
What/who did you realize you are particularly grateful for?
- I still can't look at my husband without thinking how lucky I am to have him here. Last Christmas he was still in his "turtle shell" from his accident. We're all lucky to have him. I'm lucky to be married to my best friend. We laugh every day.
What did you do this year that you were really proud of:
- TEDx talk. I've never been so nervous to speak in public -- there's a lot of pressure to do something awesome there. I also had the flu the night before and I had taken some anti-nausea medication that kicked in right before I stood up to speak. I made it through without losing my cookies on stage -- that's a big deal!
- evo'11 - It's a lot of work, but it came together awesome this year! A big thanks to our team who made it rock and to everyone who attended!
What word sums up 2011 for you?
Best Getaway of 2011
- Laguna Beach! My husband's family goes every year and we hadn't gone for the past couple of years. It was an awesome vacay!
What did your kids teach you this year?
- That there is a disorder where children cannot audibly register or process the word NO or STOP. I googled it, and didn't find any formal diagnosis, but I am positive that the disorder exists.
What are you looking forward to most in 2012?
- The apocalypse! Dudes! It's 2012! It's on! Mayan Calendar countdown!!!
What is your #1 goal in 2012?
C'mon! How can I pick one? Here is my quick list:
- More quality time across the board (i.e. Date Night, Family Night, MORE PLAY!!!)
- Give up sugar. For reals this time!
- More yoga and road biking!
- Plant a new grove of trees in my back yard
- More DIY'ing/Projects. I'm not handy/crafty, but I aspire to be!
- Make TodaysMama and evo'12 awesome!
Recommended for You
Here are a few favorites that I must share:
- Kid Finds: Cardboard Toys for Kids I want the pirate ship next!
- Food Finds: Muffin Tin Recipes
- Pop Culture Finds: Oh, there's always something in People Magazine. I ignore my family and read it every week at my parents house!
- Tech & Gadget Finds: The Roku Box to stream internet goodness through my TV (Hulu, Netflix etc. etc.). I don't have one yet but I fully plan on it. I thank @jason_pollock for telling me about this little guy.
Favorite things that embarrass me and horrify my family . . .
- I rock out in the car. It's car dancing. My son is now old enough that he finds it embarrassing. I. will. not. stop.
- Adult Orthodontia. I got braces this year. They are awesome and I get stuff stuck in them all of the time - and then make faces at my husband . . .
Favorites from 2011:
- Song: Little Talks and Pumped Up Kicks. Now I know that people are all like: "But Pumped Up Kicks is all about kids shooting each other . . ." Well, I don't need you bringing me down like that. We listened to Pumped Up Kicks every Saturday morning on our way to soccer to get in the zone. Furthermore, my toddler has one radio request in the car: "Pumped Up Kicks! Turn it up!". In our hearts those kids are playing their best game of laser tag . . .
- Albums: Mumford & Sons, Coldplay, Florence and the Machine,
- TV Shows: Modern Family, Parks and Rec, The Colbert Report
- Movie: Breaking Dawn . . . OMG, LOL, JK!!! I haven't seen it yet, bu I vow to do so before the clock strikes midnight on 12/31. And I will laugh the same way I laughed when Jacob and Bella were running through the forest dressed in white in the last movie (or the one before that, I can't keep them straight).
- Book: I'm a slow mover and get to books long after the rest of the world. Hunger Games, The Help, and a good Christmas read - Jacob T. Marley.
- Phone App: Instagram
- YouTube Video: Again a late comer here, but Harvard Sailing Team thanks to Marie LeBaron and Allison Czarnecki after a romantic walk with our "hun cal fro yo" salted caramel frozen yogurt from Pink Berry in San Diego.
- Eye Candy: I know, you were thinking that I would put Ryan Gosling or something, but it's PINTEREST! It's an eye candy addiction!
This Year in Social Networking:
- Favorite Facebook Status Update: (the comments that ensued were amazing!)
- Most Regrettable Facebook Status Update:
Favorite Pinterest Boards:
- Balloons - Such a happy little board!
- Bites - It's like food porn . . .
- Laundry Room - Because I'm working on my laundry room right now!
- You can see all of my boards HERE
My Favorite Posts
- My first DIY post/project! I was so proud . . .
- When Sticking to Your Birth Plan Makes You an Idiot - I love how fired up people got in the comments. There was a whole discussion board devoted to this post on BabyCenter. Someone called me "nuts"! Yes!
- Post Pictures of Your Kids Online? Watch This. - Because seriously, how scary is that?
What were your 2011 highlights?