The Inside Scoop on How You Poop

This post is sponsored by Synergy Pharmaceuticals. The opinions and text are all mine.
Image placeholder title

If you’re reading this, I’m going to assume that it’s because like me, you’ve tried more than a few solutions to ease your constipation woes.

In addition to exercises, stretches, pressure points, and yoga twists… I bet you’ve tried WAY MORE than your fair share of interesting beverages.

Special teas. Juices. Vinegar. Soups. Gut shots. Fermented drinks. Powders.

Of all of the many beverages I’ve sipped, chugged, and downright plugged my nose and choked down, few have worked and more than a few have caused additional discomfort and misery on their way to achieving inconsistent and marginal results.

Why so many drinks?

Because fluid is a key player in your poop game. (*1)

Which is why one of the most commonly offered solutions to constipation is to drink more water. (*2)

Poop is 75% water and the remaining 25% is a mixture of dead bacteria that helped us to digest our food, living bacteria, protein, indigestible fiber, and waste materials from the liver and intestines. (*3)

If you don’t, or aren’t able to GO, the water in your poop is reabsorbed into your body. Which causes the poop to harden and become even more difficult to pass. (*4)

Which becomes the most awful cycle EVER.

Cue the struggle and the straining and the discomfort.


After you eat, food is broken down in the stomach, and passes through the intestines. (*1) Fluid plays a big role in the digestive process by contributing to the consistency of your poop.(*1) Uroguanylin is a peptide that is naturally occurring in your body and helps provide the right amount of fluid in the intestines. (*2,*5)

Too little fluid and you may be facing constipation and misery. (*3) Too much fluid and you may be dealing with diarrhea and the inconvenience of that whole situation. (*3) Uroguanylin helps to regulate this fluid balance. (*5)

Too little fluid may = constipation.(*3)

Too much fluid may = diarrhea.(*3)

Trulance™ (plecanatide) is a medicine indicated for adults with chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC for short) that is designed to work like this natural peptide uroguanylin.6 A little digestive peptide that helps to provide the appropriate amount of fluid in the intestines. Diarrhea is the most common side effect and can sometimes be severe. (*6) It is important to discuss the potential benefits and side effects with your doctor. (*6) See additional important safety information below.


That oh-so-important element to a smooth poop cycle.

Still curious about how uroguanylin works? Check out this video and learn more about CIC and Trulance—a once-daily tablet approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration indicated to treat adults with CIC. (*6) And you can learn more about CIC and how Trulance works here.

Image placeholder title

What is Trulance?

Trulance™ (plecanatide) 3 mg tablets is a prescription medicine used in adults to treat a type of constipation called chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC). “Idiopathic” means the cause of the constipation is unknown. It is not known if Trulance is safe and effective in children less than 18 years of age.


Do not give Trulance to children who are less than 6 years of age. It may harm them.

You should not give Trulance to children 6 years to less than 18 years of age. It may harm them.

Do not take Trulance if a doctor has told you that you have a bowel blockage (intestinal obstruction).

Before you take Trulance, tell your doctor:

If you have any other medical conditions.

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Trulance will harm your unborn baby.

If you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Trulance passes into your breast milk. Talk with your doctor about the best way to feed your baby if you take Trulance.

About all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.

Side Effects

Diarrhea is the most common side effect and can sometimes be severe. Diarrhea often begins within the first 4 weeks of Trulance treatment. Stop taking Trulance and call your doctor right away if you get severe diarrhea.

Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of Trulance. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.