It’s hard sometimes to enjoy water when it doesn’t have the same taste as the “other” drinks have, but I know I need to keep moving away from those types of drinks.
Vitamin water seems to be the best solution for me. I’m not your typical lemon-in-water kind of gal, as I really like my cherry coke. So, I have come up with some different types of fruits, vegetables or herbs that you can toss in your water or your child’s water to give it that extra flavor you crave without all of the sugar and calories! Here are some of my favorites:
- Cherries: Remove the pits and stems
- Strawberries: Remove greenery from top or use frozen
- Pineapple: Fresh is best, without the rind
- Orange: Cut in pieces with the rind
- Mint leaves: Fresh is best
- Cucumber: Fresh, of course!
- Raspberry: Fresh without the stems
- Watermelon: Chopped into chunks without the seeds
- Blueberries: Fresh or Frozen
- Limes: Fresh
- Grapefruit: Fresh
- Rosemary: Fresh
These are just a few items you can use individually or blend together. One thing to remember is to steep your blends in water for several hours or overnight like you would a great iced tea. Sometimes I do it in my smaller water jug that I take to work so I have it all day. I usually cut all of my fruit up so I don’t have to keep doing it throughout the week. It’s a great way to incorporate more vitamins and minerals into your diet.