"You are not a dog. Don't reward yourself with food."
I’m all for being honest and getting down to the nitty gritty of this whole weight loss thing, but that rubbed me the wrong way. I found it incredibly belittling. It’s hard enough to find time to workout and/or resist the urge to cap off each evening with a sweet treat, without being compared to a dog.
But I couldn’t stop thinking about that pin.
Because I reward myself with food.
I have also been known to quell my stress by eating donuts. Three or four at a time.
So, the overall message revealed something to me, even if the actual phrase is one I can do without. It got me thinking about non-food items or activities that I could use to reward myself.
I need a weekly treat. Here are a few non-food treat ideas...
- New nail polish.
- A few new songs from iTunes. (Something with some pep, for the treadmill.)
- A really good bag of coffee*. (I dream of splurging on a small bag of pricey beans.)
- Drugstore lips. (I like tinted Burt’s Bees.)
- A magazine and an uninterrupted hour to read.
- Someone else puts the kids to bed and I get a bubble bath. (I don’t think I’ve had a bubble bath in almost four years!)
I like the idea of a “ten pound treat”—something that I get at each ten pound weight loss interval.
Recommended for You
- A massage.
- A new pair of shoes.
- New make up. (I’ve got a long list of items I need from Sephora. I could get excited about spending an hour picking out new colors.)
- A fun piece of jewelry.
- New workout clothes.
- Movie night. (More Thor!)
Don’t get me wrong, I still plan on enjoying sweet treats. But I think a small shift is in order. Because those donuts, on top of a nervous stomach, have never actually made me feel better.
But I bet a bubble bath would.
- Starting Weight: 195.5 pounds
- Week Eight Weight: 184.5 pounds (-2.5 pounds this week / -11 pounds total)
- Goal Weight: 165 lbs
I need more non-food treat ideas. Help!
*Although, it is technically “food”, coffee is first and foremost, a necessity.
Read the previous Healthy Living for Mom posts...