The flu seems to be everywhere. It's been racing through our city and it seems like over the holiday break everyone I knew was sick.
Check out this graphic from CNN on the recent flu outbreak:
I want to know why California, Nevada, Montana, and Maine are so special!
We were not so lucky.
3 of the 5 bodies in my house came down with it. We were on Tamiflu within 48 hours of our first fever and the symptoms were minimized immediately. For the most part, it just left us pretty tired. We're luckier than most of the people we know who have been hit with it in far more miserable fashion.
Symptoms of Influenza:
- Fever over 100 F
- Aching muscles, especialy in your back, arms and legs (my 2 girls complained most about their legs)
- Chills and sweats
- Dry cough
- Fatigue and weakness
- Nasal congestion
Recommended for You
What You Should Do:
- See a doctor within 48 hours of first onset of symptoms for a diagnosis (and get yourself some Tamiflu!)
- Get nuts and wipe down the surfaces around your house with Clorox Wipes. Influenza spreads through tiny droplets that can be inhaled or picked up off of an object.
- Get your flu shot. Keep in mind that it's usually 2-3 weeks before they are effective so you can still contract the virus in that time frame.
- The CDC says that a person is contagious about 1 day before symptoms develop and 5-7 days after becoming sick. If you know you have the flu, be considerate of others and keep your distance. (i.e. hole up in your basement and watch LOST from start to finish on NetFlix)
Stuff that Might Help (or at least makes you feel like you are doing something about it)
- Motrin worked like magic for everyone at our house
- We were shooting "On Guard" out of a diffuser like crazy at our house. (as was everyone else I talked to in our neighborhood)
- I've heard that the more humidity in your house the better. Someone told me it weighs the virus down and makes it less airborne. I can neither confirm nor deny this.
- Did you get that email about onions preventing the flu? I checked it out. It's false. I really wanted to believe that one. Totally bummed.
- Do all of the regular stuff. Blow your nose, take a hot shower, stay rested, drink warm tea, don't go around licking your friends.
How about you and your house? Have you come down with the flu yet? If so, what have you done to help your family feel better?
* Remember, I'm not a doctor so mostly, if you are sick, go see your doctor!
More on TodaysMama: