Craving something home-y and thumbed through the Fannie Farmer Cookbook for this little gem–the Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes. (Editor’s note: I renamed them “Ultimate” because of one ingredient change. You’ll agree with me.)
- 4 medium potatoes , peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 oz. Brie cheese, sliced thin
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Cover the bottom of the casserole with a single layer of potatoes, then a thin layer of Brie.
- Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, flour and a few dots of butter.
- Repeat until all of the potato slices are used.
- Pour milk over the potato slices until the top is almost covered.
- Dot with the remaining butter
- Bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft.
- The Brie on the top layer will crisp nicely along with the potato slices–looks very pretty.