Have you settled into a salad rut? Spring is the perfect time to mix it up in the kitchen! Retire your warm, winter recipes and spend some quality time in the produce department.
The April issue of Taste of Home is packed with recipes that are light on fat, cholesterol, and calories but heavy in flavor.
Tropical Fusion Salad with Spicy Tortilla Ribbons
Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
Recommended for You
- 2 cups cubed peeled papaya
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
In a large bowl, combine the papaya, beans, avocado, corn, raisins, peppers, cilantro, orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper, sugar and salt.
Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining chili pepper. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Serve with salad. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups salad with about 10 tortilla ribbons equals 321 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 9 g protein.