I love avocados so much. I use them most every single day. I even started a board on pinterest just for avocados. I love the creamy texture they have without adding lots of cheese or other high calorie foods to recipes. I’ve been seeing all sorts of delicious macaroni and cheese recipes lately and decided I needed to use the creamy texture of avocados to create my own mac n cheese recipe (only without the cheese). This is a perfect meatless meal with lots of comfort and flavor. I added a little non-fat Greek yogurt into the recipe to add a little bit more creaminess but you can leave it out if you’re vegan.
The pico is absolutely essential and really only takes a few ingredients. So don’t make this recipe without it! I was at a dinner the other night and we had cafe rio-style salads. Someone brought fresh pico and it was so flavorful and amazing. It made me realize you can cut back on lots of the dressing and other high calorie foods if you have fresh, flavorful toppings. I hope you love this recipe as much as I did!
Recipe for Avocado Mac with Pico De Gallo
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dry macaroni
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (if you’re vegan, you can leave this out and add another avocado)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced red onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro, diced
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil over medium high heat. Add in the dry macaroni and let it boil for about 8 minutes, or until tender.
- While the macaroni is cooking, dice up the roma tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Combine in a bowl and pour lime juice and kosher salt over the top. Stir in. Season to taste with additional salt or lime juice if needed. Smash up the avocado with a fork.
- When pasta is tender, drain off all water. Stir the smashed avocado and Greek yogurt into the pot with the macaroni. Stir until creamy and pasta is coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into individual serving dishes. Top each dish with about 1/4 cup of the pico de gallo. Enjoy!
Want to see some other delicious avocado recipes?
Fried Egg Sandwich with Avocado on Whole Wheat Toast
Avocado Deviled Eggs
Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bowls with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Chicken Burrito Bowls with Avocado Cream Sauce