Making a piecrust is as easy as it looks; follow these simple steps, you’re guests will be blown away!
Follow these 9 steps:
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Work in the bitter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with the water then mix. Pinch a bit of dough – it should just hold together.
- Turn out the dough and gather into a ball. Halve the dough and flatten each half into a disk.
- Wrap each disk and chill for 15 minutes. Roll out 1 disk on a lightly floured work surface.
- Roll the dough into a rolling pin, then unroll it, centered, over a pie plate.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the pan, then refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Pour in the filling. Roll out the other disk and unroll it on top. Roll up the dough edges and crimp to seal.
- Cut vents in the center of the pie before baking. Brush the crust with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pie, then let cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Orchard Fruit Pie
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 min (plus chilling)
Bake Time: 1 hr 10 min
- 2 ½ cups plus 1/3 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 pounds granny smith apples
- 1 pound bosc pears
- 2/3 cup cranberries
- ¾ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 ½ cups flour and the salt. Add the butter and, using your fingers, blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in the ice water and mix until the dough just holds together (if necessary, mix in 1 tablespoon more ice water at a time).
- Turn out the dough, gather into a ball, then halve the dough ball. Pat each half into a disk, wrap with wax paper and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400°. On a lightly floured work surface, using a rolling pin, roll out 1 disk into a 13-inch round. Roll the dough onto the rolling pin, and then unroll it over a 9 ½ -inch pie pan. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan, letting the excess hang over the edges. Refrigerate.
- Peel and coarsely chop the apples and pears; place in a large bowl. Add the cranberries, 3/4 cup sugar and the lemon juice and toss. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup flour and toss. Pour into the chilled pie shell and set aside.