I opened my fridge in hopes to find an already cooked meal, but instead found a big bag of corn tortillas. Which reminded me of a conversation I had with my coach about an amazing Mexican lasagna that his girlfriend made for him. So I thought, why not make a corn tortilla lasagna in the crockpot? I opened the fridge back up and started pulling out ingredients, no real recipe to follow, just grabbing foods that sounded good. Here is how I put it all together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan and cook the onions. Add the garlic and sauté.
- Add ground turkey, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder and cook until turkey is cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the cooled turkey mixture, carrots, corn, black or pinto beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, black olives, and cilantro, and mix.
- Spread a 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/2 cup of pasta sauce on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Layer tortillas on top of the salsa, cutting them if necessary to fit the shape of your crock pot.
- Spread a semi-thick layer of the turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with 1/2 cup of salsa, 1/2 cup of pasta sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas on top of the cheese. Pour another semi-thick layer of turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with 1/2 cup of salsa, 1/2 cup of pasta sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Top the lasagna with another layer of tortillas, pour the remaining salsa and pasta sauce on top, and cover with 1 cup of cheese.
- Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours or until nice and bubbly.
- Add some avocado, sour cream, guacamole, corn chips or more cheese and serve.
Recommended for You
You could get so creative with this meal and really put anything you want into the mixture. Make it vegetarian or steak! Super easy prep and clean up. It’s a win/win for the busy mama’s out there!
Take good care and be well mamas!
- Olive Oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 can black beans or pinto beans
- 1 can sliced olives
- 1 cup of red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 12-ounce package corn tortillas (12 tortillas)
- 2 cups Cheddar, Mexican or Jack cheese
- 1 16-ounce jar mild chunky salsa
- 1 16-ounce jar pasta sauce