Of course, I had to try it! This is a super simple, easy preparation meal. Lots of flavor that even the steak and potato folks will love! Which I cannot complain about. This recipe is an adaptation from blogger The Lexingtonienne.
1/4 C olive oil (original recipe calls for Canola, but I prefer EVOO)
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (original recipe calls for chicken thighs, but breasts are healthier)
1/2 lb andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and cooked
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 bag of frozen cut okra
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6oz can of mild diced green chilies, undrained
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp Zatarain’s creole seasoning
- In a medium, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine EVOO and flour to make your gravy.
- Whisk constantly for 3-4 minutes, until gravy becomes fragrant and begins to darken.
- Turn heat down to low and whisk constantly for several more minutes, until the gravy is the color of peanut butter.
- Pour the gravy into the crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the shrimp.
- Stir and cover. Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high heat for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
7) Add the shrimp 20 minutes before serving.
- Add one scoop of rice to center of bowl and pour desired amount of gumbo over top.