The bright yellow color of these cookies is funny because they scream lemon instead of banana. The flavor, however, tastes just like your favorite banana cream pie! These were a crowd favorite!
Traditionally, pudding isn’t used in cake mix cookies. The goal of cake mix cookies is SIMPLICITY. That’s one of the main drivers of their popularity. We tried other methods, but adding the banana cream pudding to this cake mix recipe was by far the best way to replicate those amazing flavor combos of traditional banana cream pie. Adding pudding to a cake mix recipe does a couple of important things. First, it reduces the gluten to starch ratio. When your gluten to starch ratio leans too far to the gluten side, your dough will result in a tough texture rendering a more crunchy cookie; adding the pudding not only adds sweeteners to the recipe, but it infuses the dough with modified starches. Typically by adding pudding to any recipe, not just cake mix cookies, will result in a chewier and more moist cookie.
Banana Cream Pie Cake Mix Cookie Ingredients
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) banana cream pudding
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
Banana Cream Pie Cake Mix Cookie Method
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cake mix and pudding mix. (Do not prepare the pudding, leave it dry.) Add the eggs, melted butter, and milk. Stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips or m&m's. Use cookie scoop to equally scoop cookies onto baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes (skipping this step can result in cookies spreading).
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.
The Best Variations for Banana Cream Pie Cake Mix Cookies
Cake Mix Cookie Bar Variation
Add an extra ¼ cup of water. Add a ¼ of vegetable oil or melted butter. Spread the dough into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes until the edges start to brown up a bit and the middle looks set. Give it the tried and true toothpick test. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. This recipe will make about 20 banana cream pie cake mix cookie bars.
The Whipped Cream Topping Variation
This is actually two variations stacked on top of each other. First is the whipped cream. We have an awesome whipped cream recipe we use on a regular banana cream pie you can use. After the whipped cream is prepare, sprinkle graham cracker crumble over the cookie.