I LOVE a good pot roast on Sundays, especially when the weather calls for easy comfort food.
I found this recipe from The Pioneer Woman and I considered the gold standard for pot roast recipes. It is the best BUT it requires leaving on your oven for a few hours, something I don't love doing while we're at church. This recipe is an adaptation to work in your crock pot!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 Roast
- Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, cut into fourths
- 3-6 Carrots, cut into 2-4" peices
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Red Wine (optional, You Can Use Beef Broth Instead)
- 2-3 cups Stock (I used chicken, but you can really use any)
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- Warm up a skillet on high and add some olive oil, waiting until its warm but not smoking. Add the vegetables, allowing them to brown but not cook through. Remove the veggies to your crock pot.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the toast. Sear all sides of the roast on the hot skillet and place in your crock pot, arranging it all to fit.
- Deglaze your skillet using the red wine, scraping off the bottom and then pour into your crock pot over the roast and veggies.
- Top off with enough stock to cover the roast and veggies.
- Add a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, 6-8 hours on low.
- Serve with mashed potatoes-the drippings from this recipe make the most incredible gravy!
See more on TodaysMama.com!