If you follow us on Instagram you may have noticed I took off to Iceland for a week and I'm here to tell you it was AMAZING! A must do for anyone's travel life list. Missed the Instagram action? Check out the #AdventureStartsWithMe hashtag on Instagram for a bunch of amazing pictures from the group of bloggers I was traveling with.
Why The Hashtag?
We visited Iceland as guests of Animal Jam and Visit Iceland. Why would an online game for kids want to drag a bunch of bloggers to one of the most remote parts of Iceland? Because we are moms, and moms are role models for their children. Heard the phrase "If I can see it, I can be it"? Moms can have a huge impact when they show their kids that they can embrace adventure, that they love to get offline and outdoors, and that they are passionate and inspired by their environment and science.
In short, if your kids see you take on new experiences and that YOU are constantly learning new things, they will do the same. Thus, the #AdventureStartsWithMe hashtag.
Whether you are planning a trip to the zoo, a hike in the mountains, a trip overseas, or settling down with a good book, you are showing your kids the stuff that makes up an adventurous, curious life.
As a matter of fact, we'd love you to join our little hashtag. Let us know what you are doing with your kids to inspire adventure and a love of the world around them by adding your photos to the #AdventureStartsWithMe hashtag on Instagram. We'd love to see them!
Why Animal Jam?
If you are familiar with Animal Jam you know that they are an online game for kids. Their passion is STEM education and inspiring kids to learn within the game and offline too.
Well, that's pretty easy. It's Iceland. It's FULL of adventure, beauty, and an unplugged other-wordly environment. You can learn more about Iceland and the adventures you can experience HERE.
Need Some More Adventure In Your Life?
The good news? We're going to send YOU on one.
Might we suggest a totally awesome Iceland itinerary? This itinerary was built to help you explore Icelandic culture, wildlife, and their environment. Here's what we did:
- Arrive in Iceland via WOW Air!
- Stay at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina (and take a nap!)
- Tour Whales of Iceland
- Take a dip in the Blue Lagoon
- Have dinner at the Seafood Grill
- Check out all there is to do in Reykjavik!
- Head West!
- Stay at Hotel Husafell
- Try riding Icelandic horses at Oddsstaoir
- Visit the Icelandic Goat Center
- Explore the glacier
- Visit the Icelandic Seal Centre
- Have Lunch at Sjavaborg
- Go Seal Spotting
- Check out all there is to do in North Iceland
- Stay at Heydalur (Try to catch the Northern Lights!)
- Drive from Heydalur to Suovik
- Visit the Arctic Fox Centre
- Have lunch at Braeoaraborg
- Take a sailing trip with Borea Adventures
- Stay at Hotel Isafjordur and have dinner in their restaurant
- Depart for the Gauksmyri Horse Farm in North Iceland
- Attend the horse show
- Have dinner and enjoy life on the farm!
- Head back to Reykjavik and begin your journey home
We did a lot of driving to get to all of these amazing (and remote) places. We traveled with Grayline and our tour guide Ingi and we cannot recommend them enough!
Remember, you can check out more of our Iceland pictures on the #AdventureStartsWithMe hashtag on Instagram!
Get To Know Iceland
Need to get to know Iceland a bit better? Check out Visit Iceland's new feature Iceland Academy! You'll learn valuable lessons from people like Gudmundur and Stina on topics like avoiding hot tub awkwardness and responsible safe travel in Iceland.
Enter To Win!
One lucky winner can win:
- 2 Round Trip Tickets From WOW Air
- 1 Gregory Moonrise Backpack For Your Adventures
- $2000 From Animal Jam to use towards your accomodations and other travel expenses
About Animal Jam
Animal Jam is a safe and exciting online playground for kids who love animals and the outdoors. Players create and customize their own animal characters and dens, chat with friends, adopt pets, team up for adventures, and feed their curiosity about animals and the natural world around them. Created in partnership with National Geographic, Animal Jam features classic playground role playing infused with the life sciences. Players can collect fun facts in their journey books, learn about Animal Conservation in Kimbara Outback, and talk to real scientists, like herpetologist Dr. Brady Barr and marine biologist Dr. Tierney Thys. Join the fun for free at animaljam.com!
More on TodaysMama.com