Writer and content creator, carb lover, wife, mom to three boys, Olympic Weightlifter. All I do is win, except when I don't, which is often...

50 Most Hipster Baby Names (You’ve Probably Never Heard Of)

Hipster Baby Names {Anything to add?}

Hipster baby names, they are happening and I am here to bear witness that some of them aren’t so bad.

Look, the last name I acquired at marriage is no walk in the park to spit out so I made sure when each of my three boys came along, that we stuck them with a moniker that was easy to say (one syllable preferred), and even easier to spell. Life is hard enough without having to be the person always having their name butchered by every Starbucks barista or pharmacy tech on the planet, although to be fair, I’m sure Starbucks could butcher just about anything.

At any rate, what people choose to name their babies always fascinates (and often infuriates) me. My hard and fast rubric has always been “Does it sound like it belongs on a college diploma?” Also, “how does it sound when screamed out loud?” This is actually very important because yelling out TUCKER on a crowded playground might make you think twice about going that direction. Maybe you walk on the wild side, what do I know?

I live in Utah which means we have all sorts of weird regional quirks when it comes to baby names. There’s even a Utah Baby Namer website that keeps track of every odd iteration. And then there’s also this, which I love deeply:

God bless us here in the 801…

According to the Social Security Administration the top 10 baby names for 2015 for both boys and girls included the following:

1 Noah Emma
2 Liam Olivia
3 Mason Sophia
4 Jacob Isabella
5 William Ava
6 Ethan Mia
7 Michael Emily
8 Alexander Abigail
9 James Madison
10 Daniel Charlotte

I can get on board with any of those. Not a repeat vowel or rogue consonant among ’em! Classics.

Although Utah baby names are something to behold, hipsters take it next level which is why I thought you might enjoy this collection of hipster baby names you’ve probably never heard of (but then again maybe you have).

Something fresh, something new, take your pick!

GIRLS

20. Dex
  21. Everest
  22. Oden
  23. Yaeger
  24. Janus
  25. Quest
What do you think? Any winners?

More on TodaysMama.com

50+ BAD Baby Names . . . Just Say NO!

Popular Baby Names

Tags: , , ,

1. Pingback: 長男の性格の特徴8つ | ママズアップ

2. Sweets Laderer 09/22/2016 at 7:20 am

My name is Sweets so yeah that’s enough right there lol my kids babe unisex names Cooper Anneliese Rylan Summer & Campbell Ashton

3. ashley 08/31/2016 at 3:11 am
  4. Erika 07/23/2016 at 7:04 am

My hubby, Micah, and I strived for unique and meaningful names for our 3 kids. Eldest boy-Lyric Darshan, middle girl-Akira Dhayan, youngest boy-Ecko Aries. For us, we saw them as unisex names, but based on the stats, their first names are mostly for the opposite gender. But all 3 either grew into or already possessed the meanings of their names. You say hipster, I say unique.

5. April 06/27/2016 at 5:32 am

Those name key chain businesses will have their work cut out for them lol

6. Jorjie 06/25/2016 at 4:19 pm

I must know way more hipsters than I thought… I think I have heard of or know someone for every name on the list. (or both being there are a lot of character and celebrity names)

My kiddo is Maya Mack, she goes by Tiny. My given name is Lindsay Rochelle, I went to school with 7 other Lindsays (spelled a variety of ways), one had the same middle name and another had the same last name as me. I later changed my name to Jorjie (George), We avoid the top 10 list.

7. Celina valdez 06/25/2016 at 5:03 am

Yagayra maribel17, jasmine adilene15,juan luis13, betzaida guadalupe11, manuel rodrigo9, nayeli yamileth 7, leylanih yaihlene6, delfina adriana4, araceli yadeline2,

8. Stephie 06/24/2016 at 1:30 pm

I’ve heard fewer of the names mentioned in the comments than those in this list of so-called “hipster” names, and the names in the comments seem far more hipster. Please don’t take that as an insult anyone. Lol. I absolutely love unique names and those I read were all so neat!
    I’m currently pregnant with our first, but we already have names picked for each gender. Alanna Freya Kay for a girl and Dakota Liam for a boy.

9. Melissa 06/23/2016 at 2:13 am

Wow! My kids have such common names. And I am still amazed people ask for the spelling. My son is “Timmy” Timothy Rien-Weldon (that’s Ryan, taken from O’Brien). My daughters are “Kate” Katherine Finley-DiAnne and “Charlie” Charlotte Addison-Claire.

10. Twyla 06/21/2016 at 3:27 pm

I have very unique names for my 6 Girls
    Aunene Quozette
    Quintana Unique
    Sequoyah Rayne
    Honour Dawn
    Laylah Jaide
    Lillian Rose Marie

11. dana 06/21/2016 at 3:09 pm

Caedius Guardian is my 5 yr old sons name and Saraya The Infinity is my 8 yr old daughter. My first 3 children: Jaiden Ezekiel, Kendrick Donovan, Kyrin Louria (pronounced Ky Rinn)

12. Veronica Renee 05/28/2016 at 8:29 pm

I have two boys Tevin Rae & Keegan Rile and three girls December Rose, Caydence Renee & my youngest Maddyson Elizabeth. …..

13. Andrea 05/28/2016 at 2:28 pm

We named our sons Cisco and Tiago. Inspired by Francisco and Santiago.

14. Brie 05/28/2016 at 9:14 am

My daughters name is Story

15. Nicole 05/28/2016 at 9:05 am

We have a Kendra liana and a Kaia Esmeralda 💕

16. Shirl 05/28/2016 at 7:48 am

We never set out for a hype bird name but it happened my daughter I’d Jaidasen jade and Madison put together and and add an short a sound in between Jaidasen

17. Peg 05/28/2016 at 6:15 am

My sons name is Caswell Benjamin. Unique for sure since no one had ever heard of it! But we love it! Caswell Is typically a last name.

18. Kellie 05/28/2016 at 3:43 am

Our son is named Jarvis. I have only heard of one other and that is a friends nephew, his mother loved our sons name so much she decided to name her son the same.

19. Santana 05/28/2016 at 12:54 am

My name is Santana. I really like my name and it’s unique but not out there. My Son’s name is preston, I actually don’t hear it very often. Baby #2 name list includes boys- Levi,Theo and Jameson. Girls-Lennox, Jocelyn, taylen and Edith. Haha I all over the map with names.

20. Jessica 05/27/2016 at 11:42 pm

I have 4 boys Gage which used to be on hipster lists but has become mainstream, Colton, Diesel and Ashton

21. Liesl 05/27/2016 at 2:50 pm

Well…
    Boys: Brennen,Arren, Ian and Rowan
    Girls: Danry, Kesley and Evy
    So far no complaints from any of them!

• Stacy 05/27/2016 at 6:22 pm

My almost 6 year old sons name is Rowan, too! 😊

22. Magical 05/27/2016 at 8:26 am

Yes my real name is Magical. Doesn’t get more hipster than that. And my youngest baby’s name is Arrow!

23. Crystal 05/27/2016 at 8:01 am

I have two boys Maleki Evan and Coltin Lee.

• Ernie 05/27/2016 at 8:16 am

We have a Colton Alexander.

24. Emiko 05/06/2016 at 9:11 pm

So, yeah, I’m gonna have to fight ya about the whole ‘Tucker’ thing……..

25. Markus 04/29/2016 at 7:33 pm

My daughter’s name is Bo, like little Bo peep, or Bo Derek. I am surprised at the number of people when they see her name written down say, “What’s your daughter’s name? Boo?” My response is always the same. “Does that LOOK like it spells BOO to you?” If they answer yes, I comment on how they should work on their poor spelling skills.

26. Julia 04/25/2016 at 8:35 pm

I’m surprised, I usually see my sons name on “hipster” lists.. His name is Milo Isaiah

27. Pingback: Spring Coffee Date! Latest Instas, Updates, and Links to Love - Monica Swanson

28. Stephanie 04/10/2016 at 8:56 pm

My boys have good strong German first names with English middle names. Konrad James and Reiner Irvin. The middle names are my fathers name and my grandfathers name. My husband is German and my family is English. Personally, I think a lot of these names are ridiculous but, to each their own. I have a dog named Jazz and I’ve known many canine Axels. Dogs shouldn’t have people names and people shouldn’t have dogs names. Although, I do like Axel, I wouldn’t use it for my son. I also really Thornley (boy) or Thorlee (girl) but, same thing, I doubt I’d name my kid that. Maybe a dog.

• Stephanie 04/10/2016 at 8:57 pm

Thorley for a boy, not Thornley.

29. Michaela 04/10/2016 at 5:22 pm

Our son Hedley was named after his great grandfather. It seems there have only been about 14 Hedley’s born in the USA in the last 100 years.

30. Nicki 04/10/2016 at 1:54 pm

We named our son Wiley. It still seems to be pretty uncommon, but not unheard of.

31. Tayssa 04/09/2016 at 10:12 pm

Bruno and Hugo sounds like brazilian name to me. I love it.

32. Annie 04/09/2016 at 8:15 pm

We have a 2 year old girl named Sophie Jayne and a 1 month old boy named Pate Russell. Haven’t seen Pate on any kind of list.

• Kate 04/10/2016 at 11:52 am

How do you pronounce your sons name?

• Ali 04/10/2016 at 12:57 pm

Really? I see it on lists all the time!

Menus

• Jen 04/11/2016 at 12:03 am

Ali, you win best response!

• Bren 05/28/2016 at 3:46 pm

Is that pronounced like the liver spread or with a long A ?

33. Nichelle 04/09/2016 at 7:05 pm

My name is Nichelle with an N :0) my parents named me after the actress Nichelle Nichols. I have heard it but never met another Nichelle. My husband and I have fallen into the hipster category as our 2yo son’s name is Fletcher Lee. We just fell in love with it and neither of us have ever met a Fletcher before.

34. Darlene 04/06/2016 at 1:24 am

I have a son named Daniel Curtis. And a lovely daughter named Tyler Danielle.

35. Lorresa 04/05/2016 at 8:53 pm

My name is Lorresa Lor-re-sa. I haven’t heard it or seen it anywhere. Not sure what it means or how my parents even came up with it. I’ve actually tried adding my name to the baby names, but have never been contacted stating it would be. It would be really neat to see my name in books or elsewhere in the world. Its just so unique that its no where to be found. If anyone likes it please feel free to use it.

36. Jennifer 04/04/2016 at 6:22 am

I named my daughter VERITY. (Latin: Veritas – Meaning: Truth) To me it sounded old fashion, I loved the meaning, yet it was unique.

• Nora 04/06/2016 at 1:16 am

Also the name of my credit union..

• Megs283 04/09/2016 at 7:12 pm

I love the name Verity! Have you read the book Code Name Verity? That was the first time I had heard of it used as a name.

• Piper139 04/09/2016 at 10:18 pm

I used to work in a care home, about 20 years ago and there was a lady who lived there, at the time she was well into her 90’s. Very proper English lady. Only Verity I had ever met or heard of… until now 🙂

37. Pingback: Bad Baby Names - Just Say No... - TodaysMama

38. Milissa Davis 03/22/2016 at 2:31 pm

I have 3 boys 1 girl
    Boys Cole, Camden, Cable daughter her name is Carsyn( Carson)

• Fatima 04/03/2016 at 12:05 pm

My niece’s name is Carsyn I think it’s a beautiful name!!!

• Ali 04/10/2016 at 12:59 pm

Will he grow up to be the cable guy?

39. Lacey 03/22/2016 at 6:32 am

My son name is Riddock, no not from the movie, it’s a old Irish name.

40. Cassandra Thompson 03/21/2016 at 6:55 pm

My oldest is Creed, middle is Paxtyn, and my baby is due May 8th and his name is Gunnar and middle name is Ryder.

• Lacey 03/22/2016 at 6:33 am

I live the name Creed!

41. Unis 03/20/2016 at 9:45 pm

I live in Brooklyn and love hearing the kids at the park’s names… Macklyn, Iris, Delphine… all girls. Axel for a boy should surely be on this list.

• Lacey 03/22/2016 at 6:34 am

My best friends son is axel.

42. Yurri 03/20/2016 at 7:43 pm

We both have hipster names mine is Yurri spouse is Redus 3 children all girls Giselle Natalia, Iliana Cataleya & Nayelia Amaris

43. Kelli 03/20/2016 at 5:05 pm

If you had to put the pronunciation of the name you listed then you proved her point. lol

44. Sara 03/20/2016 at 3:54 pm

My mother’s name is Shari (rhymes with sorry), not Sherry. She has had to correct the pronunciation of her name for 60+ years. She would discourage anyone from naming their child something difficult to spell or say. She had said many times that those who care, remember her name correctly over time.

• Amanda 05/28/2016 at 7:37 am

My mom is Charie (short for Charlotte). Everyone pronounces it wrong, even when I say “short for CHARlotte, not SHARElotte”

• Jorjie 06/25/2016 at 4:14 pm

My mom’s name is also spelled Shari pronoucned Sherry. She has not had issues with pronunciation, spelling on the other hand… My name is Jorjie (George 🙂 )

45. AmberLynn 03/20/2016 at 3:54 pm

Mine kids love and hate their names. There not all that ‘out-of-the box’
    Shi(shy)