I have a thing for banana splits. They have always been a favorite of mine-ever since I can remember. There’s just something about that banana-hot fudge-maraschino cherry combo that makes my heart sing. Also I’ve been looking at quick and easy icebox cake recipes and this fell into my radar-I had to make it. It’s actually a combination of a few recipes-and I’m sharing it with you in hopes of bringing you the same happiness it brought me.
The beautiful thing about icebox cake is that you don’t have to bake anything, it takes 10 minutes to make and it is everyone’s favorite. No one hates on this yummy stuff.
I wanted mine to have an authentic taste so I went with crushed waffle cones as my base. You could easily replace those with nilla wafers, graham crackers or even oreos if you wanted a stronger chocolate taste.
I have a little bit of a lactose allergy-so I made the pudding with raw milk and it turned out amazing! I know there are other dairy-free pudding options that would easily work in place of the standard stuff.
Banana Split Icebox Cake
1 package Waffle Cones
1 large package Vanilla Pudding
2 cups Milk
1 large tub Whipped Topping
- Grease a 9×13″ pan. Crush the waffle cones and pour them into the greased pan.
- Whip the pudding using only 2 cups of milk (the back of the box calls for 3) and fold in roughly half of the whipped topping.
- Gently pour the pudding mixture over the waffle cone crumbles, spreading it all evenly.
- Cut up bananas to form another layer, and then the strawberries for another.
- Use the remaining whipped topping to cover the top.
- Refrigerate to firm, for at least an hour before serving. If you want softer waffle cone bits, refrigerate overnight. Garnish with hot fudge, nuts and maraschino cherries. (*optional: some recipes added pineapple in there somewhere-either as one of the layers or as a garnish. I’m just not that into pineapple on my splits)
- Dig in!