Ana is a single mama to an 8-yr-old son, Javier, who loves to wear costumes 365 days per year. When not exploring her beloved Sunshine State with her family, she's planning date nights with her single dad beau, Mark. The former content director for parenting.com, Ana is now the VP of Content for Today's Mama. She has interviewed a wide range of mamas, from First Lady Michelle Obama to the Kardashians and everything in between.

Gwyneth Paltrow Says Her Job Is Harder Than Being A Regular Working Mom

What a week actress Gwyneth Paltrow has had. First she announces a split from husband Chris Martin but uses the oddball phrase “unconscious coupling” when describing their separation. Then a recent interview with E! News surfaces where she talks about how much harder it is to be a working mom when you have a job like hers compared to, you know, having a regular office job. Here’s a direct quote from the interview found on the E! News site:

“I think it’s different when you have an office job, because it’s routine and, you know, you can do all the stuff in the morning and then you come home in the evening. When you’re shooting a movie, they’re like, ‘We need you to go to Wisconsin for two weeks,’ and then you work 14 hours a day and that part of it is very difficult. I think to have a regular job and be a mom is not as, of course there are challenges, but it’s not like being on set,” she said.

Needless to say it outraged working moms everywhere who have to work a lot more than two weeks at a time, let alone get paid millions to do it.  Working mom and writer Mackenizie Dawson decided to respond with an open letter to Gwyneth Paltrow that has gone viral overnight. Here’s a standout line: “Thank God I don’t make millions filming one movie per year” is what I say to myself pretty much every morning…”

Gwyneth Paltrow Says Her Job Is Harder Than Being A "Regular Working Mom"

The letter appeared in the NY Post.

Here is a longer excerpt from her letter to Gwyneth:

You mentioned in your E! interview that when someone has an office job, “You know you can do all the stuff in the morning,” and that hit the nail on the head. As someone with an office job, my mornings are obviously pretty leisurely. Sometimes I even have time to drink half of my coffee before it gets cold! After my 6 a.m. wake-up, I have a lot of time to loll around, hopping in the shower and then throwing makeup on my face, hoping that I’ll have enough time to put my tights on before my son starts crying in his crib. Then, when he does start crying, I have to make the decision: Do I get fully dressed, or do I go tend to him with my hair still dripping wet? Talk about being spoilt for choice!

Then I have a few Bellinis and adjust my 401(k) contributions.

After I get home from work, I’m full of energy and ready to cook dinner using one of the recipes you post on your lifestyle Web site, Goop: slow-cooked kale, pancetta and bread crumbs, anyone? After that, I’ll go to yoga, spend a few hours meditating and maybe do some online shopping, picking up a pair of $350 white leopard-printed short-shorts via Goop in preparation for the “spring break” I’ll take with my husband and son.

What do you think about Gwyneth’s comments about regular working moms? Are you infuriated, barely affected, and most importantly, if you were a fan of the actress, are you still? Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , ,

1. Taylor 03/31/2014 at 12:43 pm

In my opinion, I get what she is saying, not that I’m an actress and understant the lifestyle, but for her to compare herself with “office woman” is just —Well–Gwyneth, she is a bit shallow and self absorb… don’t pay her any mind, she does poop and pees the same way must of us do. Last time I check she was human…right? maybe? wait–super human that is!

2. MJC 03/31/2014 at 12:27 pm

Gwyneth, like all other celebrities, live in another world. They don’t have a clue what it is like to juggle family, work, and home responsibilities. They surely don’t understand the difference between HAVING to work and choosing to work.

3. Kimberly 03/29/2014 at 5:41 am

We’ll boo hoo for her. We all make decisions for work that deeply impact our lives and our families. I’m in Education sales and I travel 3-4 days a week at least to cover the whole state. Unfortunately I too am not making millions of dollars, nor do I have a personal trainer. I do have a couple of amazing ladies who rotate to help my husband while I am gone. My 5 year old and 10 year old love these ladies who have known them since they were born. We all lead different lives and shouldn’t judge. I do have to say I applaud the 9 to 5 office mom. I don’t know how they do it. That seems so much harder to not have the flexibility being a mom so desperately demands.

4. Mom of 3 03/28/2014 at 8:03 pm

Wow, this letter sounds very jealous and bitter. Why bring up how much money she makes or the very sarcastic remarks about spending large amounts of money on shorts? No matter how much money she makes, relationships are what matters most in this life. She’s breaking up with her long time husband and father of her children, have a little sympathy! I’m sure this is extremely hard for her. Also, why do people think it’s ok to judge celebrities when we know nothing about them personally? Can we offer the girl a little compassion. I know I do not envy celebrities at all for having to talk about their personal lives in front of the entire world and be judged by the entire world. These are real people who have real feelings. As fellow working moms, let’s give her a little support and acknowledge that it is very tough.

• rcc 03/29/2014 at 4:25 am

I support your comment and thought you should know that. =)

5. Perspective 03/28/2014 at 4:32 pm

Poor Gwyneth is sorely lacking in perspective. She should consider learning to listen to what people are trying to tell her when she says off the wall things like this, it might help her public image. But being surrounded by yes- men and heinie kissers, it’s not likely. Bless her silly, privileged heart.

6. Tami 03/28/2014 at 10:07 am

All I think that she is trying to say is that the absence of a regular routine in her life is challenging….I mean, she does after all have kids who probably do have a regular routine that they need to stick to. I don’t think she’s trying to take anything away from those of us who have ‘normal’ jobs/lives. I think she’s just saying that it’s ‘different’.

7. Tami 03/28/2014 at 10:07 am

8. Jodi 03/28/2014 at 10:00 am

Everyone gets in a tizzy over the smallest things. Yes she makes a lot of money, but let’s take money out of it for a minute. She doesn’t see her kids for weeks at a time. If they are there, she has to be on set at 4 am and doesn’t get done until well into the evening. Not to mention all of the commitments her agent puts in place. There are many more, but her point was, “regular” moms have more of a set schedule. I know that I’m going to be home this weekend. I know that I will be there to give my kid a bath and tuck him in tonight. She wasn’t trying to insult anyone. The road is a lonely place, no matter how much you make.

• Tami 03/28/2014 at 10:09 am

I totally agree with you. Just because she happens to make a lot of money doing what she does doesn’t mean that her job is not without it’s challenges.

9. Patti 03/28/2014 at 8:17 am

Unaffected (ok, maybe a little dumb-founded)by her crazy thoughts and the idea she thinks she should actually speak them. I fully realize that people who do not live in the “real” world on a full time basis have no idea what it is like, and therefore cannot really relate.

• Ana Connery 03/28/2014 at 9:23 am

I think that is why people were offended. She doesn’t live in their “real world,” and so they feel she shouldn’t assume it’s so much easier. I’m not convinced any one has it better than the other in the end. There is only so far money can give you in this life. But we should certainly respect each other’s choices enough not to make grand assumptions.