Mama of 3. Founder of TodaysMama.com and Click Retreat, a photography and social media retreat for bloggers. TEDx: What?

The Conversations We Should Have About the Newtown Shooting

I sit here racked, like every other parent in America today, with sadness, anger and fear for the world that our little ones live in.

We’re all asking ourselves a lot of questions about how we got here. We’re going to have lots of conversations about gun control. I’m seeing lots of comments on Facebook and headlines on various news websites.  CNN called for people to share their thoughts about gun control.

I’d suggest we have another conversation.

I took my kids to the movies tonight.  Upon exiting the theater, I looked around at all of the video games. Almost every one of them with a gun attached.

Those that did not have guns attached had half naked girls riding motorcycles.  The one with half naked girls riding motorcycles specifically had a sign on it: “Suitable for All Ages”

Really.

I know we’d like to say that what we watch and the games we play have little to no impact on the society we live in.  I beg to differ:

The Joker did not arm James Holmes and throw him in the theater, but you can certainly see the resemblance.

Here’s the real conversation we should be having as a nation and as families:

“Garbage in, garbage out.”  What we consume as a nation, as communities and individuals will evidence itself in our lives. We need to clean up what we are taking in.

You are what you eat.

“We need to be willing to accept the level of violence in society that we allow in our entertainment.” – Dr. A. Lynn Scoresby

You may not live in a violent neighborhood, but consider the violence you are bringing into your homes whether it be the games that are played or the movies that are watched.

You can bet that I’m calling the manager of that movie theater tomorrow morning, and that I’ll be waging my own little battle against that little corner of my neighborhood.  It’s a very little thing. In a very nice part of town, with not a lot going on. But if you wage a small battle in your neighborhood for something better, small or big, we can all make a difference.

You want do something? Demand more from our nation. Demand more from your community. Demand more from yourself. Demand more for your children.

1. t 11/03/2013 at 10:50 pm

Guns Do Not Kill People, It Is The Person That Chooses To Kill People.

2. t 11/03/2013 at 10:48 pm

This Is Ludicrous, Saying That Games Cause Kids To Kill People Is Like Saying That A Fork MaKes People Fat, It Is A Choise Made By The Child AnD The Life He/She Has Lived,It Has Nothing To Do With The gameS, Its the Things That Happen To THem That Cause These Things.

3. Lia 12/19/2012 at 6:04 am

I am not American and I have never been to the USA. I am European and live in Europe. I am as sad, angry and disappointed as you are. I’m a mother, and there is simply no place for nationalities there.
    What you are saying, about garbage in, garbage out, is very relevant, I believe. I am going to tell you something that will cause you grief as Americans and I am sorry for that, it is not my intention. As you may know, European countries “import” a lot of your entertainment: movies, games but also tv series. My feeling those last years, is that if it is American, it is violent. We have had on air, just to name a few, Dexter, all the CSI (Miami, New York, Las Vegas etc), Law and Order, NCIS, Blue Blood, Cold Case, The Good Wife. It is all about pervert crime, gangs, illegal guns, weapons, retaliation, corrupt police or politicians (even the Desperate Housewives are about crime). This is the image that the American entertainment industry gives about the US: a country where the most horrifying crime is possible, and where crime is considered so entertaining that 90% of the most acclaimed series is about it.
    As I look back in time, I can remember of American series that were so different – there were so many family series (like Seventh Heaven and many more) or series about people fighting for life (like the ER). It looks like these are now considered inept, because even “crime-less” series have morphed into darker formats (just look how the ER derived into this incredible Gray’s Anatomy where everything is about sex and ambition, or into House, where the main character is a misanthrope).
    As I told you, I have never been in the USA so I cannot know if American entertainment has really gone to darker and humorless places, or if this is just what is exported. But, this image remains an indication and this is why you struck a chord with me with your post. Please don’t take offense in my comment, it is not meant as a critique. Just as a perspective.

4. Laurie Herrscher 12/18/2012 at 1:28 am

I’m with you Rach. Go get ’em.

5. Anastasia @ eco-babyz 12/17/2012 at 3:05 pm

I’m surprised I don’t see more people talking about this and instead all over ‘gun control’. We need just as much if not more control for the virtual and fake guns children are exposed to. There are many many more things boys can play with besides guns!

6. Julie 12/17/2012 at 2:00 pm

I was glad to see on “The View” today a forensic psychologist talking about just this subject. He claims these behavior have excellerated because of violent video games. People who are already at risk should not play these. These isolate and dehumanize.
    He said anyone who could shoot 5-11 bullets into one human at a time in a mass killing was definitely playing a video game. The way to get rid of these is to quit buying them. This will force manufactures to quit making them.

Couldn’t agree with him more.

7. Rachael Herrscher 12/16/2012 at 1:34 pm
  8. Sylvia 12/15/2012 at 10:54 am

The problem is this and so much more. There are many factors that are contributing to the overwhelming violence in America. Its time to make a change!! I’m so sick of this crap and the increasing issues. Seriously disgusted!

9. Quinn 12/15/2012 at 6:56 am

I was thinking this very thing after hearing about how quick many people were jumping on the bandwagon of saying this experience was legitimacy for more gun control. Take away our right to bear arms, but keep the romancing of thugs/murderers and horrific violence in our media? Now THAT’S insanity. We’ve become a culture that doesn’t even know the Bible, but is totally comfortable with violence everywhere, especially in video games and movies. It’s sick.

10. Pingback: The Conversations We Should Have About the Newtown Shooting | RachaelH.com

11. Pingback: One Week To Go « Outpost CrossFit

12. Michal 12/14/2012 at 10:25 pm

It’ll be fun to see those little yellow baggies that they put over broken fuel pump handles placed over the toy guns. Temporarily Out of Service (Aviso: fuera de servicio). But in all seriousness, we don’t do toy guns at our house. I hate the Airsoft and Paintball thing that everyone else loves. I’ve always hated the whole it’s alright to shoot someone in the face with this kind of gun but not the other kind.

13. The Atomic Mom 12/14/2012 at 10:10 pm

DH and I talked about this very thing tonight. I know there are many variables that went into what happened today, but this is one of the big ones.