Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

Why You Should Vaccinate Your Kid (or You are Being Stupid)

Vaccination from the Gates Foundation

image source

Last week I went to the pool with a friend of mine and her two kids. A few days later my friend texted me in panic. Her daughter had gone on a choir trip and came home sick because one of the other kids had whooping cough. Pertussis. My friend was worried, terrified really, because we’d been to the pool with my kids too, exposing my baby to a possible pertussis infection. Her daughter was in quarantine being tested by the county health department, who had to be notified by medical professionals because people can DIE from pertussis.

In fact, another friend’s baby DID almost die of pertussis a few years ago. She was in the hospital for months; it was scary.

THERE IS A VACCINE FOR PERTUSSIS.

You heard me. There’s a freaking vaccine for pertussis, and a vaccine for a lot of other terrible, horrible diseases and if your child isn’t vaccinated then you are probably stupid.

You heard me.

We’ve gotten to the point in our indulgent, hyperbolic parenting where vaccines are suspect. Vaccines are suspicious. Vaccines that save lives and make babies not be dead are the subject of hand-wringing, scare-mongering, and hysterical agendas, and it has to stop. Because reason is dying, logic is wounded, and you are pretending that you are smarter than science, and guess what, you aren’t. I know, math is hard, you’d rather go to the mall, but it’s time to put your thinking cap on.

I hear a lot of “I believe…” and “I feel…” and you know what? I’m a big proponent of intuitive parenting, but when that runs up against cold hard data, it’s time to reexamine the way we examine everything. You could say “I believe that seatbelts don’t save lives.” “I feel like my kids should eat mercury,” and there’s not a lot of argument you can make, because feelings are a hard thing to reason against.

I shouldn’t be the only one to tell you this, so let’s reference something else. How about this article from Wired Magazine called “An Epidemic of Fear: How Panicked Parents Skipping Shots Endangers Us All.” You should really go read that article. Done? OK, we’re all good with vaccinating now, right? Great!

Oh, you need more?

[Vaccination] isn’t a religious dispute, like the debate over creationism and intelligent design. It’s a challenge to traditional science that crosses party, class, and religious lines. It is partly a reaction to Big Pharma’s blunders and PR missteps, from Vioxx to illegal marketing ploys, which have encouraged a distrust of experts. It is also, ironically, a product of the era of instant communication and easy access to information. The doubters and deniers are empowered by the Internet (online, nobody knows you’re not a doctor) and helped by the mainstream media, which has an interest in pumping up bad science to create a “debate” where there should be none.

The article explains something quite insidious: we inflate the risk of certain scary things not because they’re likely to happen, but because the perception of those things are so scary, we panic. It’s a brain response that’s kind of hard wired.

Take, for example, the classic stranger abduction. It happens all the time, right? Nope. There are about 100 stranger abductions every year in the U.S; 500 children die from accidental gun shootings; and 1300 kids died in car accidents. You’re probably way more worried about a stranger abducting your child than the fact that your kid is ten times more likely to be killed when you drive him home from school.  You see? The actual danger to your child isn’t nearly as scary as the less likely danger. Kind of like with…vaccines.

A severe reaction to the MMR vaccine? 1 in 1,000,000. Literally, one in a million. Deaths from measles? 2 in 1,000.

See that? That means that the reaction to the vaccine (NOT DEATH) is one in a million, but if we didn’t vaccinate, 2,000 out of a million would die. And since there are 76 million kids in the US, that’s about 152,000 kids who could die of measles.  Way more kids would die of measles than currently die in car accidents. And you’re not exactly campaigning against seatbelts, right?

Still, despite peer-reviewed evidence, many parents ignore the math and agonize about whether to vaccinate. Why? For starters, the human brain has a natural tendency to pattern-match — to ignore the old dictum “correlation does not imply causation” and stubbornly persist in associating proximate phenomena. If two things coexist, the brain often tells us, they must be related. Some parents of autistic children noticed that their child’s condition began to appear shortly after a vaccination. The conclusion: “The vaccine must have caused the autism.” Sounds reasonable, even though, as many scientists have noted, it has long been known that autism and other neurological impairments often become evident at or around the age of 18 to 24 months, which just happens to be the same time children receive multiple vaccinations. Correlation, perhaps. But not causation, as studies have shown. (source)

Let me explain correlation: My foot hurts this morning. Yesterday I drove my car. My car made my foot hurt. That’s correlation. It doesn’t mean that my car MADE my foot hurt, that’s causation. Just because something happened at the same time as something else doesn’t mean that it caused it to happen. Also, just because one thing happened after another thing, doesn’t mean it caused it to happen: I sneezed and then the sun went down, so my sneezes make the sun go down. Nope.

I know, sometimes it’s hard to separate your emotions from your reactions (it’s brain science, which we can talk even more about another day,) but vaccines shouldn’t be a debate. Yes, your child could be the one in a million who had a severe reaction to a vaccine (and one of my friend’s child was THAT child,) but the tiny chance is so insignificant, you should be far more worried that your husband will beat your child to death, because that’s far, far more likely.

See, there are a group of people out there that have serious allergies, or a family history of severe reactions who cannot be vaccinated. You are not that special (statistically.) It is YOUR responsibility to vaccinate your child because those people do not have a choice. You DO have a choice. And if you choose not to vaccinate, I am absolutely going to think you are a crackpot who doesn’t understand science. I will take it as a personal affront that you’re piggy-backing on my child’s vaccinations to keep your kid from getting sick (get your own vaccination.) Your excuses pale in the face of all the data ever.

So let’s get back to my friend’s daughter, the one who was exposed to pertussis and then, in the window when she might have been contagious, and unknowingly walked all over public, to school, past babies and other at-risk people. Look, she’s a tween, she’s not in tremendous mortal danger from pertussis, except that her mother has lupus, a rotten autoimmune disease that can emerge in adolescents, especially those with a genetic predisposition. Know what can kick-start a rotten autoimmune disease? A significant infection where the body has to fight off something, like, say, pertussis, and ends up not being able to turn off, and lupus is triggered. Some dumbass parent who didn’t want to vaccinate their kid for pertussis might end up turning on a life-altering debilitating disease in another child. SO FRAKKING SELFISH.

Vaccinate your kid.

Vaccinate yourself.

Ask your medical professional to ensure your vaccinations are up to date.

Because you are too smart and responsible and good looking not to vaccinate.

SEE ALSO:

Don’t understand how vaccines work? Read this.

Ruining it for the Rest of Us from This American Life (where an unvaccinated child ends up putting a community in quarantine)

Contagion the movie, for a fictional account of what happens when there’s no vaccines

Stories from unvaccinated child’s parents about the horrible things that happened BECAUSE they didn’t vaccinate

Rare sickness kills child; officials urge vaccine

Why vaccines aren’t special and why a vaccination you turn your nose up at is is something mothers in developing countries would dearly love so another one of their babies doesn’t have to DIE.

The Gates Foundation’s amazing work to make less children die.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Pingback: Lesson 37: Why you should vaccinate your baby (yeah, I went there) | Cabernet and Breastmilk

2. Pingback: 2-Lesson 37: Why you should vaccinate your baby (yeah, I went there) | Cabernet and Breastmilk

3. Alex 09/27/2012 at 11:48 am

The only reason I looked at this is because I had to for a class to grade your blog. It sucks. Instead of just giving facts and statistics about vaccinations, you go about attacking those who do not vaccinate their kids because you are afraid of your kid getting sick(you seem to be somewhat conceited about your parenting). If you are really worried about your kid getting sick, then home school the kid. Or….get your child vaccinated so you do not have to worry about what the other parents do. :O shocking I know…

4. Amy 09/12/2012 at 4:04 pm

Read: Those Well Meaning, But Stupid and Dangerous, ‘Unvaccinaters’: http://www.birthologie.com/category/parenting/page/3/.

Also, an immune mother who breastfeeds protects her baby from pertussis. Additionally, the pertussis vaccine has been blamed for the increased strength of the illness as of late. Please let me know if you have any questions.

5. Kim 09/05/2012 at 5:32 pm

BRAVO! Well said.

6. Dee 09/05/2012 at 8:39 am

A few random comments from someone who works in public health:

1. To the person who said that if someone chooses to vaccinate, they don’t have to worry about those who don’t – that’s not entirely correct. There are those who cannot be vaccinated against certain illnesses, either because they are too young (babies) or they have some sort of health issue the prevents them from being vaccinated, even if the parent believes 100% in vaccines. This was not an issue when most vaccinated, but now that large numbers are not vaccinating, this is a much bigger issue.

2. It’s true. Vaccines are not 100%. Unfortunately, not vaccinating is also not 100%, and in fact the *risk* is greater. Neither statement ensures that your child will be in the smaller percentage who are harmed or the larger percentage who are not. I wish I could say that vaccines will not negatively affect anyone. I also wish I could say that not vaccinating will protect your child. Neither statement is true. Unfortunately, in life and in vaccines (or in not vaccinating) there are no guarantees.

3. Many are reacting to Carina’s blog as though it’s a news outlet. This is a blog. In many ways, it is no different from Rush Limbaugh or Chris Mathews opining about what bothers them about the political party they are against. Do they use soft language? Nooooo. If you’ve read her blog before, you can see that she’s a pretty straight shooter. Do I agree with her on everything. No. Do I agree with all the bloggers I follow on everything. No. If you want to only read stuff from people who sugar coat what they say, don’t read her stuff and don’t follow political pundits.

7. Twyla 09/05/2012 at 2:11 am

KPBS found that whooping cough outbreaks are not caused by failure to vaccinate but by vaccine failure.

As others have pointed out, even the CDC says that DTaP uptake is high and the outbreaks are not caused by lack of vaccination.

Yet, the pertussis outbreaks continue to be used as a club to beat people over the head if they raise any concerns about any vaccines.

Yes, polio and smallpox were dangerous diseases.
    – Does that mean that all babies should receive the Hepatitis B vaccine on the date of birth? Is this vaccine safe for all babies on the date of birth? It only conceivably benefits infants whose mothers are carriers of this virus.
    – Does that mean that it is safe for a baby to receive 6 or 8 or 10 vaccines at once? Two dozen vaccines during the first two years of life?
    – Does that mean that we should ignore vaccine reactions and not try to figure out what causes them, who is susceptible, how to prevent them, and how to treat them?

The very same people who howl that science has spoken and that laypeople just don’t understand the complexities of science also take a simplistic approach that consists of a caveman-like grunt: “Huh! All vaccines good! All diseases bad!”

8. Donna 09/05/2012 at 1:36 am

Seriously! You have audacity and never. I am sick of this. I am shocked at the lack of professionalism and arrogant and divisive tone of this email. Do you think you will win people over with such criticism? and abuse?

You speak of science and then quote figures based on voluntary compliance. What a sick joke! Data based on voluntary compliance is not hard science. Real science is based on meticulously recorded data. There is little real follow up and definitely willful failure to report. With that all your data is faulty.

The reality is vaccines have been released with poor research and have been yanked because of reactions. Even within the US. We are the most heavily vaccinated country in the world, and we are not even in the top ten in infant and maternal health. Other countries have pulled vaccines that we still use.

This is piece is not good journalism, it quite offensive to a family who has had vax reactions in increasing severity, the last one was way too close. My son had increasingly severe reactions as an infant so we stopped them. He went in as an adult, and swelled his arm to his chest, way too close to his heart. The Specialists said, never ever again, next time, it could be fatal. My nephews and nieces “all” had reactions. All of my cousin’s kids on my mother’s side had reactions. My husband’s two nieces with normal development til vaccines began seizures after vaccines, as did their father. I almost feel like a bulls eye was around our family. So much for your one in a million! That is the biggest most bogus information I have seen yet!

The lady across the street spent years working at the state hospital with children who were damaged by vaccines.

Recent actual research out is showing that the Pertussis vax has mutated and it is caused by the new vaccine. Under the microscope there are actual changes in it. 81% of those who had been treated for it in Kaiser’s study had been fully vaccinated and up to date, 11% had been vaccinated but not up to date and 8% were not vaccinated.

The only reason there is any compensation in place at all for vaccine damaged children is that parents of injured kids and doctors whose patients were damaged fought hard to get laws past to do so.

Informal studies are records voluntarily kept on the general populace. Those reports are voluntary. I have two friends who had a child with severe reactions and the doctors admitted so. But both doctors refused to report it because they believe more good than harm comes. It is immoral to knowingly without information that should be part of the data base. Why? because it screws up the data and gives a false sense of security.

Dr. Wakefield of England was badgered to retract his study results. Others caved. Though Wakefield was driven from his profession in England over the connection he made with MMR and bowel/brain issues, his partner stayed, got lawyers, and won his case this year against the British Medical Journal, so the research stands! It has now been vindicated by research from a much larger study from Wake Forest University in NC. Another Study vindicating it was Trinity College in Dublin. And even larger studies have come out of Canada. Your one in a million is losing credibility fast!

Then there was the swine flu garbage, scare or whatever. My friend a occupational nurse at a major local hospital (she takes care of the staff) said early in the epidemic the CDC told them to stop testing and just report all flu as swine flu. Really scientific? Bogus fake science. Swine flu til that time represented a small portion of tested flu. So, they had seriously inflated numbers.No one really has a clue what the real numbers were. They want it that way.

You are in no position to ridicule any body. Least of all call names and say people are stupid. There are Doctors and research scientists on both sides of the issue.

• Twyla 09/05/2012 at 2:17 am

Like Donna said, there are doctors and researchers on both sides of this issue. Please see the movie the Greater Good.

• Liz 09/26/2012 at 9:10 pm

Donna, I am so sorry to hear about your personal experience with vaccinations.
      It took courage to tell your story and to speak up for what you believe.

Thanks for sharing your story.

9. Brandon 09/04/2012 at 9:51 pm

Stupid?? So highly educated people are stupid now? Interesting. Good luck debating all the warrior moms who have posted on here who battle everyday trying to cure their vaccine injured children.

Here is a link to an article that profiles just who youre calling stupid.

The NEJM also provides some other revealing data about who doesn’t vaccinate. As the paper puts it:

“As compared with the undervaccinated children, the unvaccinated children were more likely to be male, to be white, to belong to households with higher income, to have a married mother with a college education, and to live with four or more other children. Other studies have shown that children who are unvaccinated are likely to belong to families that intentionally refuse vaccines, whereas children who are undervaccinated are likely to have missed some vaccinations because of factors related to the health care system or sociodemographic characteristics.”

10. Anastasia @ eco-babyz 09/04/2012 at 6:08 pm

“Cold hard data” is exactly the reason we are not vaccinating. Of course the people that make billions off of vaccines aren’t going to say “look at these hundreds of studies that prove vaccines are barely effective, and harmful at worst”.

Thankfully, I have a doctor who is brave enough to show me the actual facts on vaccines, the ones you will not see on the CDC website, on TV, or at the average doctor. I was shocked to see the real, reliable, not Pharma funded, studies and data/charts that show the truth behind vaccinations. If you only had a glimpse of it, you would never subject your children to it. For me, with what I know now, it would be like knowingly feeding my children something that I know for a fact is poison. I can’t do that ‘for the greater good’, I can’t ignore thousands of vaccine injured children either whose lives will never be the same.

Just FYI, vaccines never, ever, prevent disease 100%, actually not even close (that isn’t a secret). There is no way I would trust my children to the FDA, not after seeing how they are completely bought out by pharmaceutical companies: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/13/drug-safety-whistleblower.aspx?e_cid=20120813_DNL_artNew_1

If you look at history, the majority never was right, usually the minority knows the truth about particular subjects. I would rather be in the minority with the truth, rather than the majority that believes everything they are told my popular media and a corrupt government.

Oh, and I don’t appreciate you calling parent who do not vaccinate ‘stupid’. I wouldn’t say that about you, a vaccinating parent. Being misinformed and stupid are different things.

Since apparently, you only believe data from the CDC, I’ll leave you a few links with real data, the one that wasn’t paid for by the same companies who make the vaccines.

11. emilly 09/04/2012 at 5:19 pm

While I see your point, and my kids are vaccinated, I am absolutely SHOCKED and disgusted on how this topic was represented. Unprofessional is a complete understatement. So while I agree that kids should get their shots, I am now going to hit the UNSUBSCRIBE button. I can only imagine what your email subscriber list looks like now while other parents won’t tolerate your approach to this issue either. Mind blowing. I can locate other parenting topics in a lot of other places.

Sad

12. Tonia 09/04/2012 at 4:48 pm

I am unsubscribing to this web site based on this article alone. The reason people do not vaccinate is BECAUASE they are educated and have done the research. If you dont know where the vaccines was made or what is in it, then don’t inject it into my child. Thereis so much research on this. Educated yourself and don’t be stupid.

13. Courtney 09/04/2012 at 4:47 pm

Ignorance is bliss….in your case that is. Unfortunately I can’t be ignorant because I spend every day of my life trying to fight the vaccine injury that was done to my son. I did what I was supposed to do…I vaccinated right on schedule and lost my son in the process. I’m only just now getting him back. Must be nice to be able to sit back and look at your healthy children and judge others without walking in their shoes. The fact is thinking vaccination is a one size fits all practice…is simply ridiculous, naive and extremely dangerous. Some children simply cannot handle the toxic load like my son. Luckily your children seem to be able to handle it…which allows you to stand on your soap box and judge others and ignore the science. Even the CDC is admitting most of the cases coming out with Whooping Cough were in fact VACCINATED. Stupidity is not doing your homework and writing an opinion piece which makes you look very foolish indeed.

CDC response to Whooping Cough Outbreak:
    “The media and some vaccine advocates are incorrectly blaming parents who choose not to vaccinate their children. But interestingly, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other health officials, are NOT. Allow me to quote Dr. Anne Schuchat, the director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases:

“Better diagnosis and reporting of whooping cough may be contributing to the increased numbers, along with the fact that the disease tends to peak and wane in cycles. It does not appear that anti-vaccination sentiment among parents has contributed to either the national rise in cases or the Washington state epidemic.” (3)”

14. DuongSheahan 09/04/2012 at 4:33 pm

I think it’s important for parents to be WELL informed on both sides and make their own choices, to say that a parent is STUPID if she/he chooses not to is SO WRONG.

I was listening to a world renowned Dr.(Mayer Eisenstein) who discussed this very topic on his radio show last week and shared that majority of the kids that do get that Pertussis vaccine are actually the ones that get the whooping cough.

I won’t share the link here, but anyone can google him, and vaccine to learn more.

Coming from someone who has vaccinated her kids….Just because there is a vaccine for every known illnes out there doesn’t mean I will subject my kids to it. Educate before you Vaccinate (and that can go on both).

15. Sheila 09/04/2012 at 3:51 pm

Who in this world doesn’t think their child is one in million? My children are fully vaccinated and have LOTS of autoimmune problems because of it. Besides juvenile arthritis my other pefectly healthy teen now has to have a gastric stimulator because her stomach stopped emptying on it’s own after the Gardisal shot! A shot that will only protect her from 4 out of 97 strans of HPV has forever altered her life.

16. Karmen 09/04/2012 at 3:48 pm

My 16 year old severely vaccine injured son needs my attention so I will keep this short. Vaccine injury does occur. No one knows how often because it is a passive reporting system in which vaccine recipients, healthcare workers and family members are not instructed in how to use. I take your article with a grain of a salt. I have seen vaccine injury way too many times. Have you even read the package inserts??? No time to argue with you. If your readers want accurate information on vaccines please go to National Vaccine Information Center.

17. Penelope 09/04/2012 at 3:48 pm

I LOVE this! There is a reason the old diseases (the ones that are preventable–with vaccines) are starting to make a comeback; people who don’t really educate themselves about the purpose of vaccines, or those who believe any conspiracy theory thrown out there. Vaccines aren’t the cure-all, and they aren’t 100% perfect, but they are the best defense we have against the diseases they help prevent. If our bodies were able to fight everything naturally, there never would have been so much death caused by disease before vaccines were available.

We live in an age where people who choose not to vaccinate their families have a reasonable (albeit shaky) chance of never contracting a horrible illness–but only because the rest of us are vaccinated FOR you. 50 years ago, your non-vaccinated family would be torn apart by disease. So: you’re welcome.

Side note: This reminded me that I need to get my booster shots. Thanks!

18. margarita anderson 09/04/2012 at 3:43 pm

the thing is ..i dont vaccinate because i have done my research. not because im too lazy or too stupid to go get them. i made an educated decision about what is best for me and my family. Also if vaccines really were so great then people with vaccines shouldnt have to worry about being around my kids without them…

19. Sharon 09/04/2012 at 3:36 pm

Your article is one sided to say the least. The name calling is another issue and speaks volumes about you. Tell the parents of the child left paralized or in a vegatative state directly linked to vaccinations how stupid they are. Guess what? I survived an aggressive form of cervial cancer and I WON’T give my daughter the HPV vaccination. Why don’t you do your homework and tell me how many young girls have almost died from that vaccinated compared to how many die from cervical cancer? When people do their homework they won’t give their daughters that vaccination and the drug companies know it. Their solution is to start marketing it to boys now. The truth regarding vaccinations isn’t black and white and it is foolish to suggest it is. Some vaccinated people still get the disease and some healthy people react to vaccinations. Now, I will remove myself from your email list because I prefer to read honest, intelligent articles rather than biased, angry soapbox rants.

20. Gina 09/04/2012 at 2:50 pm

If the author wants to drink the koolaid, that is her prerogative. I wish her and her children the best. But if I choose not to, don’t assume I’ve made an uneducated decision and call me stupid. I am curious, though, as to how many books she actually read on the subject before vaccinating her children.

And as far as the Gates Foundation is concerned, I’m really suspicious of his true motives. If you want to save millions of lives and have millions of dollars to spend, why not bring clean water to communities that don’t have it. More children in third world countries die from water-borne illness than they do of disease.

21. Tanya 09/04/2012 at 2:39 pm

Carina, You are an Idiot.

There, how does that feel? You call me stupid because I did my research and learned that vaccines DIDN’T save our lives, vaccines HURT in tremendous proportions, the vaccine industry is run by the very pharmaceutical companies that PROFIT from us getting vaccinated, the outbreaks happen from VACCINATED COMMUNITIES not the unvaccinated ones, the mainstream “vaccines are safe” studies are loaded with CONFLICTS OF INTEREST and are neither scientific nor credible. You call me stupid because I learned all of that?

I call you an idiot because you didn’t know any of it. Neither did half of your readers. In an age of information, ignorance is a choice. And you have clearly made yours.

22. pete 09/04/2012 at 2:21 pm

By far the most unprofessional article i have ever read from Today’s Moma. no regard for other viewpoints or facts. I vaccinate my kids but i still review both sides before every shot. i also support those whose choose NOT to. if you honestly believe the disrespectful soap box offered up by this article please don’t be stupid and continue to research vaccinations.

Simple history fact: Sweden stopped its whooping cough vaccination program in 1979 when it was discovered that 84 percent of the children who fell ill from the disease had been vaccinated against it three times.

• Carina 09/04/2012 at 2:36 pm

Actually, Sweden started vaccinating again shortly after it discontinued one particular type of vaccine. You can read more about a long term study in Sweden about the efficacy of the pertussis vaccine here: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=84

“In 1998, only three years after the introduction of acellular pertussis vaccines, the reported incidence of pertussis had dropped by between 80% and 90%, and was similar to the lowest rates observed in the 1960s, when the Swedish whole cell vaccination programme was still effective (1). The vaccination programme has therefore been highly effective in the short term, due in part to the very high coverage achieved as soon as the new vaccines were licensed and the acellular DTP vaccine replaced the diphtheria and tetanus (DT) vaccine in the infant vaccination schedule.”

23. Stephanie 09/04/2012 at 2:09 pm

Interesting. Unless you read vaccine inserts. Did you know, on page 11 of the vaccine insert, Autism is a side effect to the DTaP?? DId you know that mercury and aluminum are neurotoxins? How about the fact that there are no studies that compare entirely vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. There are no long term studies to tell about the health effects of all the vaccines we are given today. There are several known carcinogens in vaccines as well. Altered human DNA from aborted fetal cells are in there too, and no one has done a study to figure out if it is possible for that DNA to invade and damage the person getting the vaccination. There are many “studies” that show how safe vaccines are, right? Well, those studies are never done with a true placebo. They are done comparing the reactions from one vaccine to another. The shady vaccine science, is just that. Shady. If science was 100% that vaccines are safe, the US would not be paying out BILLIONS of dollars to having lost in vaccine court. Those cases have proven that vaccines DID injure their child(ren). I have 2 boys, diagnosed with REGRESSIVE AUTISM. Do you know what that means? It means my children were injured by vaccines. The have measles strains in their gut. They hurt in ways they can not explain, because they don’t have the words in order to tell me. GO ahead and call people “stupid” because they don’t vaccinate their child. The day that my pediatrician signs a piece of paperwork, telling me that they are 100% certain that there will not be ONE negative side effect to my kids due to vaccination, and that I have the right to sue them for the damages incurred, THEN I will give them everything the CDC “requires.” Until then, let me assure you to NOT hold your breath. Over half the dr’s in the country do not follow the CDC’s vaccination schedule for their kids. Ever wonder WHY that is? If things are as safe as they say, why don’t Dr’s trust the system they are working for.