Erica is a writer, editor, wife, and mom. She has always found employment with an English degree and she excels at nurturing children and animals but struggles to keep houseplants alive. Erica currently writes at SidewaysQ.com

Recommended Book Series

I love to read and tend to churn through books so fast that sometimes a good series is the only way to handle my turnover rate.  I was the kid who skipped the first 5 chapters of Babysitters Club books because I didn’t have time to waste on all those repeat character descriptions.  What I haven’t managed is to snag one of these mugs from Lenny Mud.  My family is hereby on notice for Christmas.

I’ve been on a cowboy theme lately, having read Cormac McCarthy’s Border Trilogy awhile back.  Then I realized I’d never seen the Lonesome Dove movie series, and naturally decided to read the books first.  I’m reading them chronologically per the story and not by when Larry McMurtry penned them.  Woodrow Call and Augustus McCray aren’t perfect men, but they’ve got my heart.

Dead Man’s WalkComanche MoonLonesome Dove & Streets of Laredo

I’ve mentioned before how much I love period dramas, and Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series is like period drama-reader crack.  Scotland, history, fascinating details, and soft core romance (risque for me until I read Fifty Shades of Grey.  Don’t even go there).  I don’t know why I hadn’t read Gabaldon earlier — Outlander is celebrating its 20th Anniversary.  There are seven novels in the series, so far.  When you read one of the books, you’ll know why it takes her 3-4 years to write each one.

If you haven’t read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest), you should.  Be prepared for a political thriller with some graphic sexual torture, though it is central to the story.  Be patient with the Swedish proper nouns, which are packed full of consonants and take time to distinguish with our English reading brains.

By now everyone’s read The Hunger Games.  If you’re eschewing these books out of anti-trend sentiment, get over it.  They’re well written, exciting, and heart-breaking. Good writing can be found in the YA class, you know.

(Side note: Twilight is not well written, though it is entertaining.)

(Mumbled note: Shades of Grey is not well written and is horny.  I mean corny.)

What is your favorite book series?

Disclaimer: All links in this post are for Amazon Affiliates.  Products purchased through these links will return a small portion of revenue to the author or website.  Maybe enough to buy penny candy at the dime store.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Lana 09/11/2012 at 11:12 pm

What do you do with your old books? You know, there is a neighbor who lives up the street who likes to read too, hmm(cough).

• Erica 09/12/2012 at 9:24 am

LOL! Most of these series were taken from the library, but my personal library is open to you! 🙂

2. Jenny 08/29/2012 at 8:48 pm

That mug is awesome and nowhere to be found! I have been wanting to read the Lonesome Dove. Will skip it to the top of my list. I am just going to say, for some diversity, I did not like Outlander. Maybe it came too highly recommended, or it was that it was an audiobook. But there it is. I was not a fan.

For a series aimed at kids but enjoyable for adults I loved the Gregor the Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins, possibly more than the Hunger Games Trilogy.

The Thief series is a great YA series by Meghan Walen Turner, that was smart and intruiging

And then for adult mystery series I love the Flavia DeLuce books by Alan Bradly and the Mary Russell/Beekeeper’s apprentice books by Laurie King.

3. Kim G. 08/28/2012 at 8:53 pm

Awesome list – I’ll have to look at Outlander. And I also skipped the first couple of chapters of Babysitters Club – that line made me laugh out loud. I had to skip the beginning of each Box Car Children book as well.

4. Jodee 08/27/2012 at 7:29 pm

Well, one my favorite series is a little lighter then some of the ones you mentioned. But, if you like a good laugh, a good story, and a quick read, then I suggest the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. They are the “numbers” books. One For The Money, etc, etc. Mystery/detective type stories! Love them!

5. Jeanne 08/24/2012 at 5:18 pm

I love Outlander! I also really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series when I read them with my son. They are very well written and have a good story. I liked the True Blood books, they are NOT as horny as the TV Show…or as far out there. Fun reading!

6. Carrie Finlinson 08/23/2012 at 11:43 pm

Thank you for reminding me about Outlander. I forgot I wanted to read that. Since you mention well written YA books, I love Megan Whalen Turner’s Queen’s Thief series. I think the thief is one of the best written (and yet little known) literary characters ever.

7. Rachelle Hughes 08/23/2012 at 8:01 pm

I love series. One of my favorites is a little more obscure and is called the Tales of Otori.
    Agree with you on twilight.

8. Raejean 08/23/2012 at 12:47 pm

I loved These is My Words and the rest of the trilogy. I consider it historical fiction, which is kind of like period fiction, right?

• jenn 08/24/2012 at 5:10 pm

don’t you wish she’d write another series?!? that one was a real surprise to me, but i enjoyed all 3 books!

• Lauralee 08/29/2012 at 9:05 am

I am in the middle of the second book and am loving them.

9. Melissa 08/23/2012 at 11:38 am

I love your side notes! I agree about Twilight. It reads like a seventh grader wrote it but I’m hooked on the movies. Can’t comment on “Fifty Shades of Grey” since I haven’t read it yet. YET. I’d like to see what all of the fuss is about.

My favorite book series of all-time is probably Harry Potter. I really enjoyed the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers, which is historical Christian fiction.