COO for TodaysMama.com; Mom of 3, love walking, baking, beautiful paper and pretending to be organized.

Family History: Was My Great Great Grandfather a Bantu Warrior?

Ever gone digging in your family history?  Here’s what can happen after a family reunion lands a fresh start on a dead end.

I was lucky enough to know my Grandma Mary.  Born in 1888, she lived to be 104 and was from North Carolina.  Growing up in the Tarheel state, I can still remember the state history projects and feeling proud that I had a grandma from Nahunta, NC.  Her mom was Mary Argent Mozingo, the woman seated on the left in this picture.

One thing you learn about searching your family history is that you’ll often find a dead end.  When I started asking questions about the glaring dead end in our North Carolina Mozingo line, I was easily satisfied in our family’s well-acknowledged fact that no more information could be found.

Twenty years later and a few determined cousins, AND the explosion of historical records now accessible via Internet — We have a clue!

Joe Mozingo, “a blue-eyed, surfing son of a dentist”, of the LA Times reports,

“I started poking around on the Internet. An entry in a genealogy forum noted that the earliest known Mozingo was Edward, a “Negro man” freed by the Jamestown court in 1672 after nearly three decades of indentured servitude.”

Joe discovered that more than 90 percent of all Mozingos in America can be traced to this man, Edward Mozingo, who is presumed to have come the west African Kingdom of Kongo, the most Westernized region of the time.  Experts suspect Edward was a nobleman or warrior, caught in some political intrigue and sold off to America.

My “cousin,” Joe Mozingo, shares three lengthy articles as he documents his journey to find out more about his heritage.  He visits Virginia, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina and Kentucky for starters.

As you may guess, for current Mozingo-ans, news of your family origins can be a burden or a blessing.  Mr. Mozingo does a great job identifying the challenges of a “pariah people,” some of whom were too dark-skinned to be considered white and some too fair-skinned to be considered black.  Add in a stack of conflicting census and tax records and you’ll see why time has not made this discovery any easier to understand.  Fair warning: If you, too, are part of the Mozingo line and want to read Mr. Joe Mozingo’s Article 1, 2 or 3, we’ve got a lot of feisty cousins who are quoted, racial slurs and all.

We’re still working on tying our relative to the Edward Mozingo line.  If you figure 14-15 generations have passed in the 340 years since Edward’s arrival, chances are I’m an entire 1/16,384th Bantu Warrior.

The once-mysterious dead end now has a glimmer of light .  It’s not much, but I’ll take it!

What have you found in your family history?

More Posts

Confession: My Baby Sleeps Tummy Down

Making Mud Pies

Remember When Mom Shot My Cat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Joseph Nelson 10/07/2013 at 10:01 am

I am curious as to who the man on the left side of the picture is?

2. Mari Luhrman 05/27/2013 at 10:56 pm

I am related to Edward Mozingo. my grandmother is Matilda Mary Mozingo, daughter of Harry Mozingo

3. Brenda Lee 01/26/2013 at 2:02 pm

after writing the article I wrote on our lineage I forgot to leave my e mail address. you can reach me by replying to the website i mentioned.

4. Brenda Lee 01/26/2013 at 1:54 pm

I am trying to get a tree which would show how I relate to Edward Mozingo. Here is my lineage. Brenda lee daughter of Violet Keim and LeO crow. Violet was daughter of Anne Gardner and Clifton Keim. Anne was daughter of Lucy Crubaugh and George Gardner. Lucy was daughter of Mary Jane Mozingo (sometimes called Hockersmith or Hookersmith due to mother’s 2nd marriage). and James Wilson Crubaugh. Mary Jane was daughter of Joseph Mozingo and Lucy Barter of Indiana Decatur Co. Lost my paper with the info. can anyone fill in the ancestry from here? Cousin wants info so he can pass it on to his children. He just had major surgery. All help will be appreciated and I will gladly share my research.

• Amy Allen Johnson 02/09/2013 at 12:16 pm

Hi Brenda, I haven’t found my direct link into the line either. Here’s a link to the book written by Joe Mozingo – He may have more detail there. http://amzn.to/Yi5P85 Best of luck!

5. Melissa 09/01/2012 at 9:40 pm

My uncle has done a lot of the work of tracing our roots. Every time I see those ancestry.com commercials I’m interested, just not committed enough yet to pay their membership fees.

6. jani lebaron 08/31/2012 at 12:09 pm

I searched for years for a lost uncle. I finally found his grandson (not related to me) in Klammath Falls. He had been a stage coach driver, moving the profits received from the rough and boisterous mining town of Leadville, Colorado to Denver. It was a dangerous ride and he had to fight off many outlaws including the Jesse James Gang. He returned early to find his two year old son (from a French dance hall girl) left alone in their cabin. She was doing the “hoochy-coochy” with his best friend. He packed up his son and left everyone for Washington state. Years later he married my dad’s sister, Aunt Irma. That’s about as bad-a$$ as we get!

7. Rachael Herrscher 08/31/2012 at 11:26 am

Dude! I always knew you were part warrior!!!