Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

I Hate Fireworks!

I hate fireworks. Mostly.

I love to go to the big fireworks spectacular in my town where there’s a huge display put on every 4th of July. It’s great! Loud, booming, beautiful, chest-pounding, and only 20 minutes long. The big spectacular starts about 10pm and ends around 10:20pm. Bam. Boom. Done. Perfect.

I can’t stand the constant fireworks by neighbors and people who insist on literally setting fire to thousands of dollars of products. It goes on before the 4th, on the 4th, after the 4th, and into the end of July (thanks to a state holiday that also promotes fireworks.) It’s noisy, smoky, and LOUD every night for weeks!

I have a one-year-old that is already plenty hard to keep asleep. I have kids who bolt out of bed to try to catch a glimpse of some explosion or another. And it’s jarring! I get super jumpy at all the noises; it’s unnerving!

We live in a western state that has put a bunch of restrictions on fireworks because they can cause wildfires. If the noise isn’t enough, now fireworks are responsible for burning 10s of thousands of acres, spilling ash on our houses and cars, and clogging our air. Oh, and burning houses. Lots of houses.

I’ve already decided that if I see anyone breaking fireworks restrictions, I’ll be calling the police. Narc central.

What is the point of fireworks, anyway? Is making something go whizz-pop-bang more important than the safety of our homes and the lives of our families? Also, they’re LOUD and they wake up my baby.

I hate fireworks, and I know I’m not the only one.

Other posts you might enjoy:

Homemade Confetti Launcher: a Fireworks Alternative

July 4th Boom POW!

Shooting Fireworks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Kalli 07/02/2012 at 5:30 pm

You mean pyro right?

2. Fijiangirl 07/02/2012 at 5:30 pm

We have the same problem here, but unfortunately we can’t tell if it is noise from fireworks or gun shots! And trust me when I lived there we were narc central as well. Even took the law into our own hands one time.

3. rachael 07/02/2012 at 4:58 pm

Wow. Such venom. Not everyone has babies. While the activity you describe does sound excessive and maybe dangerous with fire dangers high, I still say lighten up! Fireworks are fun! And most sound WAY more dangerous than they actually are. Put some ear plugs in or put on some white noise. Drink a glass of wine for Pete’s sake and calm down. I think the sleep deprivation may be skewing your thoughts.
    Yours Truly,
    Wife of a piro

4. Josh 07/02/2012 at 4:11 pm

You are so my people. We don’t have central air so we like to keep the windows open at night to cool the house down. Last night, however we had to shut all the windows because it was so loud with all the annoying fireworks going in. It is loud and annoying. And it goes on past midnight.

The money thing kills me too. Luckily my FIL does a little firework show for the kids and supplies all the fireworks. It would paine to spend money on something that I would then just blow up.

5. Jenny McCulloch 07/02/2012 at 4:08 pm

Why can’t fireworks be a winter thing? It’s actually dark at a more reasonable time and nothing can burn down.

6. Michelle P 07/02/2012 at 8:47 am

I am with you. I HATE them! I mostly hate that people are inconsiderate lighting them off at all hours of the night on weeknights when many of us have to get up early the next day. UGH!

7. Rachael Herrscher 07/02/2012 at 8:22 am

Dude. I love fireworks. I love them! But only the kind that we go to the park to see. I am over the aerials and things that people can do from their houses. And this year, with all of the wildfires I’m thinking they are particularly ridiculous.