COO for TodaysMama.com; Mom of 3, love walking, baking, beautiful paper and pretending to be organized.

Easy Banana Cream Pie Recipe

My Grandma Allen perfected the pie.  My favorite?   Her Banana Cream Pie.

Can I make pie like Avis Allen?  Um, no.

Then I tried this easy banana cream pie recipe and my husband has reminded at least three times to PLEASE keep this recipe in the file.  He knows we have a lot of one-hit wonders at our house.

Why is this a keeper?  I skip the homemade pie crust and use Nilla Wafers and a little butter for a crumb crust.  Then, rather make a true custard cream with sliced bananas, I make it ALL banana with instant banana pudding.  Finally, this pie can stand up for itself, even in the face of a hot picnic.  No Banana Cream Soup at my party!  Hope you like it as much as we do.

Easy Banana Cream Pie Recipe

1 1/2 cups Nilla Wafer cookie crumbs, approx 2 cups cookies
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 small box instant banana pudding mix, 3.4 oz
1 cup water
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
2-3 large early-ripe bananas, sliced
1/2 cup powdered sugar

For the crust, crush the Nilla wafers in a blender until fine crumbs.  In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Add crumbs and blend with a fork.  Pour mixture into a 10-inch pie dish. Press evenly across the bottom of the dish and up the sides.  Place in the refrigerator to set.

For the filling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the instant pudding mix, the water and the milk until smooth. Place in the refrigerator to chill.  In small mixing bowl, whip 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form.  Remove pudding mixture from the refrigerator and fold in the heavy whipping cream. Return to fridge to set. In the same small mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar and the remaining cup of heavy whipping cream. Whip to soft peaks.

Assemble the pie by removing the crust and filling from the fridge.  Cover the bottom of the crust with evenly sliced bananas.  Cover the bananas with the filling and top with whipped cream.  You can also create a middle layer of bananas by using only half of the filling, layering with banana slices, and covering with the remaining filling.  Serves 8-10.  Stores for up to one week in your fridge, covered, assuming you have leftovers.

More Recipes

No Bake Fresh Strawberry Pie

Fourth of  July Trifle

Fourth of July Fruit Pizza

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Chrissy 05/12/2015 at 10:08 pm

can I keep the crust and filling seperate in the fridge overnight and assemble it in the morning (I’m taking this to a potluck and I don’t want the crust to get soggy) or will the filling set up too much in that time?

2. Brenda netto 04/08/2015 at 6:07 am

Haven’t tried yet but have no doubt it will be delicious will be tying this today.just thinking might could use half and half for heavy cream if not a good choice please post and let me know.im convinced it’s a winner and easy is my game Thank you want it like for breakfast

3. Amy Allen Johnson 11/27/2013 at 9:31 pm

Hi Elizabeth, hmm, let me see if I’m making sense. The recipe calls for “heavy whipping cream, divided” which means you use half to mix with the pudding and the other half to top the pie. Since there was a question earlier today about the difference between heavy cream and whipping cream, I updated all the references in the directions to refer to the ingredient “heavy whipping cream.” You get to whip the cream twice. The first half gets carefully mixed with the pudding and the second half goes on top. Am I making this sound hard? Hope this has helped and let me know how your pie turns out. Thanks for reading!

4. Elizabeth 11/27/2013 at 7:07 pm

Hi 🙂 What do you mean when you say fold in the heavy whipping cream? “Remove pudding mixture from the refrigerator and fold in the heavy whipping cream”

5. Andrea 11/27/2013 at 1:11 am

I’m excited to try your recipe for our Thanksgiving dinner this year. However, does it call for heavy cream or whipping cream? Aren’t they 2 different things? Sorry for the confusion…in the ingredients it calls for heavy cream, then in the instructions it refers to the whipping cream. Just want to make sure I get it right! 🙂

THANKS!

• Amy 11/27/2013 at 9:14 am

Hi Andrea, great question! I’m actually referring to heavy whipping cream (aka heavy cream), the kind with 30 percent or greater milk fat content. It holds its shape longer than regular whipping cream and won’t turn watery as fast. Does this help? Happy Thanksgiving!

6. Nicole Smith 03/04/2013 at 2:50 pm

I tried this pie and my whole family loved it!! I swear it did not last the whole day 🙂 It is truely the BEST banana cream pie I have EVER had and so simple to make. My husband loved it so much he is constantly asking me to make it again.

• Amy 03/04/2013 at 3:49 pm

I’m so glad to hear it! We had some yesterday for my husband’s birthday! Our husbands must be related!