We just put away sippy cups, the kitchen table booster seat, and diapers at our house. My older son can swim. Our family participated in an Urban Adventure Race this weekend (one in the hiking pack and the other on foot) and we won the Family Division. We may very well have been the only family, but we’ll take it.
This is all to say, my family has moved out of baby-hood and we’re ready for some serious family fun, albeit for young kids. BRING IT.
Activities & Adventure
- Ride the bus/trolley downtown.
- Join Summer Reading at the library.
- Camp in the backyard.
- Camp/hike in the Smokies.
- Dinner picnic at the park.
- Watch airplanes at the airport.
- Slip-n-slide + homemade snow cones.
- Carburation Day + Indy 500 race.
- Farmer’s Market & donuts downtown.
- Eat dinner on a restaurant patio.
- Go swimming.
- Visit Grammy and Poppi in Wyoming.
- Visit friends in Maine. Eat lots of oysters.
- Go trail running.
- Build a play fort in the back yard. With a zip line.
- Visit the Children’s Garden at The Arboretum
- Build a blanket fort for movie night.
- Decorate the stairway wall. So tall, bare, and imposing.
- Grow a garden.
- Plant sunflowers.
- Put twinkly lights in the trees.
- Paint a canvas rug for the front entry way.
- Repaint the patio furniture.
- Make Woodland People pictures.
- Make sunshine in a jar.
- Catch fireflies.
- Paint a free throw line for the cul-de-sac basketball goal.
- Build a bat house.
- Get a homemade ice cream maker. Use it.
- Have a paella dinner party.
- Mojitos on the deck.
- Pick berries (and make cobbler, of course).
- Make fried green tomatoes.
- Chicken salad.
- Make-and-freeze crockpot meals so we can have dinner waiting when we’re tired and sweaty!
- For Kids: Harry Potter, The Boxcar Children, Treasure Island
- For Me: Doc by Mary Doria Russell, Let’s Pretend That Didn’t Happen by Jenny Lawson, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, Bossypants by Tine Fey
It’s a good thing my kids finish school on May 18. We’ve got a lot of fun to get started.
What’s on your bucket list this summer?
More Today’s Mama Summer Fun Ideas: