Wife, mom to two...love chocolate, trendy cupcakes, shoes, hot deals and throwing festive bashes...usually with chocolate.

Jake and the Never Land Pirates

Obsessed

I’ve got quite the little pirate lover at my house.  She’s yo ho this and yo ho that. Her plastic Little Tykes climbing structure is her pirate ship, and her VERY favorite show is Jake and the Never Land Pirates on Disney Junior.  The whole show centers around Jake and his pirate crew trying to stop Captain Hook and Smee from some crazy shennanigans.  She thinks it’s hysterical, and I think she MIGHT just have a little cartoon crush on Jake.

One member of Jake’s pirate crew is his little friend Izzy, and whenever she encounters something that she doesn’t think is quite right, her catch phrase is, “Yay hey, no way!”  Well guess what the new catch phrase is at my house?  Although we’ve worked hard on the catch phrase being, “no thank you” when she’s turning something down, it’s turned into “no way.”  Thanks a lot Izzy.

It seems sort of automatic, and I’m not even sure she realizes it’s coming out sometimes.  We’ve talked to her about it, and she always says she isn’t going to say it again, but it still periodically pops out.  Unfortunately, I think we might need to take a step back from pirates to try to flush this out of her little system.

Do you have a show that you’ve had to back away from at your house?  And folks at Disney, we love you to pieces, but do you think maybe Izzy could start saying, “Yay hey, no thanks?”

Mickey Mouse is in the House…

Autographed Disney Photo

Disney Dole Pineapple Whips

Bucket List – Disneyland with Family

1. Julie R. 04/23/2012 at 7:30 pm

We have banned “iCarly” and “Wizards of Waverly Place.” When we started getting some disrespect from our 8 and 6 year old girls, I watched a few episodes with them. That’s where it was coming from. We did not like the things said to and the way parents and other adults were treated on these shows. Even other children and teenagers were treated in ways that we don’t think is respectful. I have begun to hate “Mickey Mouse Club House” only because I went through it with my two girls and now my 4 year old son adores it. All three are only allowed so much time before it’s mom calling out, “Time to turn it off and play games, play with toys, or play outside!”

2. Siobhan Wolf 04/23/2012 at 12:29 pm

My kids are a bit older but I banned the Suite Life and Suite Life on Deck for a while. The oldest saw it as humor but not something you do at home but the youngest took all the shenanigans the twins put out and their bu-bu-bu-but responses to heart. Had to go.

I find the biggest challenge now is the four year age difference between my girls, now 12 and 8, as what is appropriate for one is not always for the other. And there is no way they’ll have their own tvs. My response has been to limit much more the time they watch, and often the oldest watches alone and the youngest does something else.

3. A5Mom 04/23/2012 at 12:24 pm

Yep – no SpongeBob here! My oldest was 6 when a babysitter brought over a SpongeBob plush toy. “Look!” she exclaimed. “It’s Cheese Man!” That’s what my kids called him.

4. Carina 04/17/2012 at 4:47 pm

Lazytown.

That show is intended to ramp kids up so that they’ll “exercise.” Inciting kids to almost riot over a TV show means that show gets banned.

5. Jen 04/17/2012 at 8:46 am

Max and Ruby was turned off at some point because my daughter started giving me 1 word “phrases” like Max. And it wasn’t really helping her learn to listen better to her younger brother.

6. Annette 04/17/2012 at 8:31 am

We can totally relate! It was Max and Ruby here. Once my son started saying one word over and over again, off went the show.

7. Katie M 04/16/2012 at 8:58 pm

My little girl is really into Caillou right now, but I’m thinking about having her take a break. She has started being really whiny, which I think she learned from Caillou.

• Shannon 04/16/2012 at 11:34 pm

That’s funny you say that about Caillou, because that’s another show that she likes to watch. I like how Caillou deals with some real life situations, but it sort of seems like she occasionally picks up some sort of Caillou pitch in her voice!

8. Amy Allen Johnson 04/16/2012 at 1:46 pm

We realized yesterday that we’ve been on a 2+ yr wiggles diet. Our almost 2yo is a Wiggles virgin and I may just keep it that way, to save myself from “Fruit Salad, yummy yummy” for the 3rd time?