Wife, mom to two...love chocolate, trendy cupcakes, shoes, hot deals and throwing festive bashes...usually with chocolate.

Benefits of Organic Milk

We had dinner at a friend’s house the other night and the topic of organic foods came up.  As we were talking about what we feed the kids, I told her that I buy regular milk, not organic.  When her mouth dropped open and she almost fell over, I had a feeling that maybe I had missed a mama memo.  Her disbelief prompted me to do a little more research when I got home.

You would think that I would buy organic milk.  I buy organic yogurt, organic baby formula, organic fruits and vegetables, but somehow I’ve skipped right over milk. I’ve been polling my friends, and they’ve all looked at me like I have one loose screw and said, “yeah, don’t you?”  They probably all think I’ve been poisoning their kids during play dates.

After my little research session, I’ve decided to make the switch to organic.  We have a little bit of regular milk left in the carton, and my new knowledge actually made me gag a little when I ate my cereal the other morning.  It’s taking a lot of strength to not dump the carton out.  Every one has their own reason for choosing to go organic whether it’s pesticides in the ground, on fruits and vegetables, antibiotics in cows, or the milk-producing hormones cows are injected with.  The hormones pushed me into making the switch.

I basically feel like I’m the last person on the planet to make the change, so go ahead, lay it on me.  Are there other benefits of organic milk I missed? Have you gone organic in the dairy section or do I have another buddy in the “regular milk” section?

Go Organic…

Clif Kid Organic Z Bars

4 Easy Tips to Avoid Risky Additives in Food

The Top Ten Ways To Eat “Green”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Pingback: BPA in Baby Products Bay Area Mama

2. Carina 04/25/2012 at 2:27 am

The big thing for me is to make sure my milk doesn’t contain any recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH.) I prefer to buy from a local dairy that doesn’t pump their cows up with rBGH or preventative anti-biotics, and their milk is even cheaper than the grocery store!

I am just not down with raw milk, too many scary microorganisms hanging out.

3. Heather 04/24/2012 at 6:11 pm

I, too, have recently researched the topic and am quite convinced organic raw milk might be best. I have not completely decided, but am still researching. I recently found out my sister has been buying raw milk – my own sister didn’t even tell me! Anyway, I think it’s great we have a choice and can educate others, but firmly disagree with requiring governmental restrictions on farmers. Government needs to stay out of our businesses, but I do believe these things should most definitely be printed on products exactly what we are getting. Personal responsibility is what will keep us a FREE nation.

4. Allison Randall 04/24/2012 at 4:11 pm

Where do I begin? Continue the research and find out that hormones and antibiotics in conventional dairy products have caused the average American girl’s menstrual cycle to begin at AGE 9, and that the average (natural) breast size has increased 2 cup sizes. Senator Diane Feinstein is writing a bill that would ban the use of routine antibiotics on livestock, because of the alarming rate of bacterial resistance to medical antibiotics. I’ll double check my sources, but really, organic dairy is vital– for women and girls, especially. If you like fiction, read ‘My Year of Meats’ by Ruth Ozeki. If you like the foodie-lit, read Michael Pollan’s ‘Omnivore’s Dilemma’. Both v. good and v. informative. We only drink organic milk in our house, and wish that the state WIC program would allow us to buy organic milk, too… but more on that later. Great article. Everyone should do the research and make the switch.

5. jessica 04/24/2012 at 4:04 pm

i always have a jug of organic milk in the fridge, but no one in my family drinks it my six year old puts it on cereal, but that is about it. milk has grossed me out forever iby small things of almond milk. my baby did just turn one, so i will be having her drink organic milk

6. Belladune 04/24/2012 at 3:07 pm

Up here, driving 45 minutes when you run out of milk is a little rediculous. They sell “regular” milk in the Co-op, and that’s where we get our milk. It’s only a 5 minute walk away. So, as much as I’d rather be drinking organic (we eat organic everything else when we can) it’s just not an option.

7. Rachael Herrscher 04/24/2012 at 7:33 am

We barely even drink milk at our house anymore! My kids really have never loved milk. We drink coconut and almond milk around here