Wife, mom to two...love chocolate, trendy cupcakes, shoes, hot deals and throwing festive bashes...usually with chocolate.

Inappropriate Kids’ Clothing

The other day I was driving behind a group of boys (we’re talking about fourteen years old here) riding their bikes.  As one bent down a little further over his handlebars, I was gifted with a truly clear view of his belt.  While writing a post about inappropriate kids’ clothing makes me feel very old, I still have incredibly young and clear vision, so there’s no question in my mind that I read it perfectly.  What did his belt say you may ask?

“I Love Boobies.”

Yup.  That’s right.  He was fourteen and wearing a belt that said “I Love Boobies.”

For the record, I am aware of the “I Love Boobies” campaign through the Keep a Breast Foundation.  And perhaps this kid is a huge proponent of breast cancer research.  On the other hand, he may have no idea that this belt supports this organization and may just be psyched to state how much he “Loves Boobies.”

My son is six months old.  However, I feel confident in saying that if in fourteen years, I’m doing laundry, and I come across a belt that says “I Love Boobies” all over it, that belt will be hitting the trash.

When I was fourteen, I baby-sat and had an allowance and some money of my own, but the majority of clothes were still being bought for me by my parents.  Did that boy’s mother buy him a belt that said that?

I remember the big uproar years ago when Abercrombie & Fitch was selling thong underwear for little girls.  Inappropriate?  Absolutely.  Should they have been selling them?  No.  Would you actually buy those for your eight year old daughter?  I hope not.

I understand the desire to want to please your children.  I know that there are parents out there who want their kids to think that they are cool.  But my kids could have the biggest throw-down in the entire world in the dressing room, and we would still be walking out of that store empty-handed.

Maybe this boy went out with his hard-earned cash and bought this belt for himself.  If he was my son, I would have told him that I hoped he saved the receipt and work on finding a different way to support breast cancer research.

What do you do if your child is determined to buy or have you buy some sort of questionable clothing?  Do you give in or do you draw the line?  How about when it supports a foundation for a good cause?

Abercrombie & Fitch Kid Thong

Inappropriate…

Are Moms TV’s Bad Guys?

Inappropriate

You Want to Wear What?

1. Chris 03/20/2014 at 4:38 pm

As much as I free with the inapropriate clothing problem, the “I love boobies” products have raised millions of dollars for breast cancer research, much more Than your sons allowance and Christmas money would if he donated it every day or his whole life. They are targeted at teenage boys because it let’s them wear something trendy that their friends will like while supporting a good cause, and then as they wear it more and more teenagers see I and go but one themselves, thus the bracelets spread like wildfire making tonnes of money for cancer research. On average for every person wearing one at Least 2 others bought one and many bought 2 or 3 for themselves making even more money. Talking down this trend hurts the sales a lot as it makes other parents find it inapropriate for their children and then less people buy them leading to less money for cancer research. Pardon any bad grammar, I’m typing this on an iPhone.

2. Elois 03/14/2013 at 2:59 pm

Actually, abercrombie and fitch is made for yound adults (age 15-19) and those underwear are not even abercrombie brand.

3. Liss 02/28/2012 at 10:22 am

I’ve seen “Save the Ta-Tas” before…much more tasteful with a touch of humor…and not mind-in-the-gutter provoking….

4. Camille Myers 02/27/2012 at 6:38 pm

My older sister had my younger sister (around 15) leaving with her for about a year and when she was doing laundry one day, she found a few g-string type thongs in the wash. Well she knew they weren’t hers, so she asked my sister where she got them and she said she bought them. My sister told her she wasn’t allowed to wear them and cut them in half. My younger sister bought those kind of underwear only a few more times (my older sister continued to cut them in half everytime she found one in the wash)!

5. Angie 02/21/2012 at 1:42 pm

I agree wholeheartedly! We have a “popular” trend here in California that really disappoints me too. Our 17 year old friend wears rubber bracelets that say the same thing as that belt, but also one that says “I {heart} Weed”, meaning Weed, California. She has a shirt that says the same thing. Is that really how she wants to be associated? Because, if you wear something like that, there’s really only one thing people will think. You can’t convince me otherwise.

For us, we have an 18 year old, a 5 year old, and a 2 year old (first two are boys, third is a girl). Only our 18 year old has any say in what we buy for him or what he buys for himself. He IS special needs, so there is more control than we would have with a NON special needs teen. But he understands wherein his identity lies, and that is in Christ. We ask him to consider his choices of clothing based on what he thinks would be glorifying to God. In most cases, he makes wise decisions, but there are times he doesn’t, and we see those as learning experiences.

We pray that our children would understand why modesty is so important, and how it is DEFINITELY ok to NOT do what everyone else is doing. It will be interesting as our little girl gets older, since she is VERY opinionated and has a strong personality. 🙂

• Shannon Breuner Nelson 02/22/2012 at 12:44 am

I heart weed!! How awful..my parental cringing continues…thank you for your reply!

6. Nikki 02/21/2012 at 12:44 pm

My son, also 14, came home from school sporting a rubber “I love Boobies bracelet” the other day. I told him no way. He said he was just doing his part to support breast cancer awareness so I told him to give me the bracelet and I would happily donate his allowance (birthday & Christmas) monies to the cause.

• Angie 02/21/2012 at 1:43 pm

Nikki, I LOVE IT!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!! 🙂 Great parenting!

7. Carly 02/21/2012 at 10:23 am

My husband teaches jr high and sees these bracelets all of the time. there is no way I would ever let one of my kids wear one. I so agree!

8. Deb Poole 02/21/2012 at 10:10 am

I agree completely. I have seen kids in my church as young as 5th grade sporting those bracelets. It’s no more appropriate that girls wearing a bracelet saying they “love” certain male body parts in support of prostate cancer research. I have commented on such bracelets to a few moms who just laugh it off. It’s sad what is acceptable these days.