Erica is a writer, editor, wife, and mom. She has always found employment with an English degree and she excels at nurturing children and animals but struggles to keep houseplants alive. Erica currently writes at SidewaysQ.com

Get Well Soon with Wet Socks Therapy

When I was sick with the [non-stomach type of] flu last week, my new naturalpathic doctor gave me some homeopathic medicines in pill form.  Easy enough.  Then she told me to try Wet Socks Therapy.

Excuse me? Wet socks.  In the winter.  While I’m sick…Is a way to get well?

Here’s the low-down, as given to me by Natural Choices.

Rationale:

Wet sock treatment is an easy and effective way to boost the immune system.  It causes the body to think it’s under attack or threatened by the cold, wet socks.  By changing the temperature of the feet, it causes the body to do the same thing it would do for any threat: It initiates a fever response (one of the body’s best defenses) and raises the circulating amount of white blood cells.

This can also be a preventative measure if you’re feeling run down, on the cusp of getting sick, or are surrounded by others who are sick.

Effects:

The treatment acts to reflexively increase the circulation and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head and throat.  It has a sedating action and many people report sleeping much better during the treatment.  It’s also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.

Supplies:

• 1 pair of white cotton socks
  • 1 pair of thick wool socks

Directions:

1. Soak the cotton socks in cold water. Wring them out thoroughly so they’re just damp and not dripping.
  2. Place wet sock on feet and cover with dry wool socks. Go directly to bed and avoid getting chilled.
  3. Keep the socks on overnight. The wet socks will be dry in the morning.  If they’re not dry, it could be a sign that your body does not have the energy to mount an adequate response to the therapy.  You should see the doctor.

Cautions:

This treatment may not be appropriate if you have a circulatory disorder, advanced diabetes, if you have certain types of cancer or in some cases of HIV and AIDS.  If you have a pre-existing chronic condition, you should speak to your doctor before trying this therapy.

So…Did it work?

It wasn’t a cure-all in my case, but I did wake up without body aches and without a sore throat for the first time in four days, and I was able to blow my nose easier.  If I’d known to do this earlier, I think I could have weakened the illness before it grew to such an intense strength.  In the future, I’ll try the wet socks when I start to get that feeling where my body is fighting a coming illness.

Good Health to you!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Bessie 10/18/2014 at 8:15 pm

Buying internet media, for instance impressions, emails distributed, sponsorships, and so on. The first type of promotional strategy which will be examined is internet search engine advertising.
    In order to find out results within the shortest time possible, there really are a few guidelines that you should followed.

2. manbake 10/16/2014 at 9:22 pm

Excellent, what a weblog it is! This website gives valuable data
    to us, keep it up.

3. www.xic.com 10/12/2014 at 5:16 am

Firstly, you want to find out some basic details about a printing company and
    who is behind it. A large amount of money can be
    saved and thus used elsewhere just by making
    a few basic changes in this area. First, you have to consider the speed of the
    office printer.

4. Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thanks for supplying this info.

5. bingospel på nätet 10/09/2014 at 5:57 am

What i do not realize is if truth be told how you’re not
    actually much more neatly-preferred than you might
    be now. You are very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly in terms of this subject, made me in my opinion believe it from so many varied angles.

Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it’s something to accomplish with Girl gaga!
    Your individual stuffs nice. All the time deal with it up!

6. http://giabafi.wordpress.com/ 10/07/2014 at 2:39 pm

This piece off writing is really a fastidious one it helpps neew net users, whoo
    are wishing in favgor of blogging.

7. archive.org 10/06/2014 at 5:12 am

I read this article fully about the resemblance of most up-to-date
    and preceding technologies, it’s remarkable article.

8. smoke 10/03/2014 at 11:20 pm

White smoke should not be confused with the thin wisps of steam that comes from
    the tailpipe when you start your car. What you can and should do is look for your self because we know there are
    other great sources on the net. Sometimes damage can turn up after
    a few days so it’s a safety precaution that you
    must take.

9. Blair 10/01/2014 at 11:57 pm

Si contratas cualquier plan de Hosting Compartido,
    ya sea el Baby Plan, el Hatchling Plan Business Plan,
    puedes usar este cupón de descuento para que te bajen un veinticinco por ciento del total de tu compra.

Para registrar nuestro dominio solo tenemos que
    ingresar a la web de dynadot y al antes de pagar ingresar el
    cupón 5INFO en nuestro carrito de compras.

10. Pingback: 10 Non-Vendor Health Fair Ideas | Matrix Wellness Club

11. Susan 01/30/2013 at 12:12 pm

This was so helpful to me. I was also drinking a lot of water and juice and I’d taken some Nyquil, but I was very sick and had to get up a 4 am to take a bus from DC to NYC to go to a trade show. I was desperate. So I did it and I felt substantially better by the next day. I took a set of cotton and wool socks on my trip and did the treatment in the hotel room at the end of the day. I was better rested than my co-worker and my feet hurt less and I was well over 90% better by the next day.

12. Nichola 01/11/2012 at 1:45 pm

What types of cancer are not recommended? Mostly just curious, also don’t want to tell someone about this with that type of condition…

• Erica Fehrman 01/12/2012 at 9:24 am

I’m sorry, I don’t have more information about possible reactions with cancer and white blood cell concerns. If there are any hesitations, the patient should talk to the doc.

13. Michelle {Fun On A Dime} 01/11/2012 at 12:20 pm

We’ve been doing this for a year or so and love it! I recommend it to everyone.