I grew up thinking that canned whole cranberries were the bomb. Then I got married and my mother-in-law served up this delightful cranberry salad. It’s originally from HER mother-in-law (my husband’s Granny), Phyllis Fehrman.
CHRISTMAS CRANBERRY SALAD by Phyllis Fehrman
- 1 lb. fresh cranberries (or a 12-16 oz. package, frozen)
- 3 apples
- 5 celery stalks
- 1 1/2 lbs. red seedless grapes, halved (about 2 c.)
- 2 whole seedless oranges
- 1 can crushed pineapple (20 oz.)
- 1 1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
- 5 boxes Jello (1 orange, 2 cranberry, 2 raspberry)
- 6 c. water
- 1 1/2 – 2 c. sugar (sweeter fruit may allow less sugar)
Boil water and dissolve sugar and Jello. Set aside.
Grind all fruit (except grapes), celery and nuts in an electric food grinder, and stir to combine. Separate fruit mixture into 2 9×13″ pans. Pour jello mixture into fruit, stir, and refrigerate until set.
I prefer to serve cranberry salad in a separate decorative bowl beside each place setting. It looks pretty this way, and also keeps the cranberry juice from running into the other food on the dinner plate.