Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

10 Ways to Hide Packages From Your Kids

The downside to the copious online shopping I do in an effort to streamline Christmas and holiday gift-giving, is that I am receiving packages all the time.

Do you know who loves boxes and packages? My kids. It’s like they’ve never wanted anything more in their entire lives than what is currently in that box. So let’s talk handling your packages (no, you stop it) so that your kids are non-the-wiser. I’ve come up with 10 ways to hide packages from kids.

1. Ship to grandma’s house. This one is easy. Have your orders sent to grandma or grandpa’s house.
  2. Swap order shipments with a friend. It’s a lot easier to convince your kids they can’t open a package if it’s addressed to someone else. You send your orders to her house, she sends hers to yours.
  3. Intercept that package! Meet the Postman/UPS/FedEx dude before they get to your house and squirrel that package away before the kids notice.
  4. Have it delivered to work. Send your packages to work, if that’s allowed, or check with your spouse’s work to see if you can have them sent there.
  5. Have your packages held. If you have particularly devious and determined children, don’t even let your packages get into the house, have them delivered as “pick up” to the post office or UPS Store.
  6. Refuse to open any packages. Don’t allow your kids to see you open a package, just make it disappear as soon as you can.
  7. Open the boring packages. In an alternate idea, open every package that you know contains something boring so they’ll leave the rest of the packages alone.
  8. Wrap the packages immediately. If you don’t need to access the contents of the box, consider wrapping the package immediately and stashing it under the tree. This is particularly good if your family are used to dummy presents under the tree for the looks. For best results, wrap a few empty boxes with your kids so they don’t get any ideas about what’s under the tree.
  9. Just flat out refuse to discuss the packages. Maybe this is old fashioned, but simply ignore any pleas, needling, and inquiries like “WHAT’S IN THAT BOX, MOMMY?”
  10. In plain sight. Kids, like grownups, aren’t always aware of their surroundings and sometimes you can hide things right under their noses. Move those packages to the garage, or other storage area and pay them no mind. You’ll be surprised how the kids, or even your spouse, can walk around and not see these presents in the open!

So those are my best ideas on hiding orders and packages from your kids this holiday.

What are your brilliant ideas?

Related Posts:

Kids Stocking Stuffer Swap

Mama Resources “Green” Holidays

5 Skills Every Child Needs: Strategies to Boost Their Social Intelligence

1. Nana 12/09/2015 at 9:22 am

I hid stuff in my closet, under long stuff too. I also told my kids the UPS guy was an elf, helping Santa deliver some stuff early, to be opened Christmas day. (I also remember telling them that Santa sent me a bill in January for their gifts, to keep them from asking for something outrageously expensive and being disappointed in Santa!)

2. Pingback: Christmas in China « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

3. Cara 12/06/2011 at 6:33 am

I utilize my minivan’s “stow n’ go”. I love that some of the kids’ presents are right under their feet for weeks!

4. Shanna 12/05/2011 at 1:44 pm

I have an old laundry hamper that I don’t use and most gifts go in there. The kids would never think to look in the laundry! I also have a locked cedar chest, and I have been known to hide them behind my long pants or dresses in the closet!

5. AmeeG 12/05/2011 at 12:19 pm

We either hide the presents in our closet under the spare blankets that we don’t use or in my sewing closet. These are 2 places my kids never get into.

6. Jenny 12/04/2011 at 3:44 pm

I know my current plan isn’t going to work forever, but right now I love it. I let each kid know a secret about what someone else is getting and they actually keep it, and then I say, My closet is off limits until Christmas. Do not open the door ever never.

7. Pingback: Christmas Garland Ideas « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

8. Kirin 11/29/2011 at 2:25 pm

These are such great ideas! It’s hard to find places (that they don’t already know about) to hide things! Thank you for these suggestions. And I recently discovered a new place to hide candy…under the dish towels. They NEVER look in that drawer! 🙂

Kirin

9. BreAnne 11/29/2011 at 2:11 pm

I feel like the best place to hid them is anywhere there is laundry to be done…no one wants any part of it. Right ow I have a lot of loot in the laundry room.

10. Rachael Herrscher 11/29/2011 at 9:29 am

My husband and I are currently laughing. Ours are in plain site.

11. Amy Mulcock 11/29/2011 at 8:55 am

I hide our packages in the bins that store the Christmas decorations. They have never found them…. neither has the hubby for that matter!

• Amy Allen Johnson 11/29/2011 at 9:19 am

Wow.. that is ingenious!

• Hubby 04/29/2016 at 4:57 am

Ok so you had a great place to hide them. But I’ll get them now!!!

12. Farrah 11/29/2011 at 8:02 am

The best one my mom ever pulled on us- was putting a large box wrapped in ‘boring’ Christmas paper in the trunk of her station wagon. She told us it was a tool kit for our dad, and he couldn’t know about it. We were sure that’s what it was, so we both were FLOORED on Christmas morning to discover it was for us. I remember saying to her- Isn’t this dad’s???? And she just said ‘Nope’.

13. Michelle {Fun On A Dime} 11/29/2011 at 7:55 am

My kids are getting old enough that I need to start thinking about this. All good ideas!

14. Lyn Meeker 11/29/2011 at 7:49 am

For years when my son was growing up .. I hid all packages in the guest bathroom (in the bathtub – behind the shower curtain) .. nobody ever looks(ed) there!

15. Yoga Mom 11/29/2011 at 7:48 am

I told my husband that we need a lock box to put gifts in. I have no good hiding places!

16. Amy 11/29/2011 at 7:44 am

My laundry room is the stopping point for all things in/ out of the house…the summer swim bag is still there, boxes to be recycled, shoes that need donating, and a flurry of real presents hidden among the piles. Guess it helps to be NOT organized?

17. Raejean 11/29/2011 at 6:30 am

I told the kids the story about how I discovered what I was getting for Christmas one year as a kid and it was the least fun Christmas ever. Now they don’t want to know what they are getting. We close a closet and put a sign on the door that says “Christmas is Coming” and they keep out. Don’t you love Christmas magic?