Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and two boys. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

Tired of All The Pink?

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I am aware of breast cancer. My mother had breast cancer.In the past decade we’ve probably seen a million products re-released in the color pink to benefit breast cancer research and awareness: from spatulas to Snuggies; candles, skin cream, pink pony shirts, stand mixers, and underwear. Every office I’ve ever worked in had a yogurt lid drive to raise money for the cure.
We dutifully licked our pink lids and stuck them in the cardboard box designated for such detrius.

You can hardly walk down an aisle at the store without having something pink jump out at you, begging you to consume and cure cancer at the same time.I kind of feel like these pink products are a gimmick to get women to buy more products. I don’t need a celebrity pink fragrance. I don’t want another Snuggie. I’ll pass on the pink Snuggie.

I have pink fatigue.

About 230,000 women will receive a diagnosis of breast cancer this year. 39,000 (about 15%) will die. (Contrast that with lung cancer: 100,000 newly diagnosed and 70,000, or 26% of patients, will die.) source.It’s estimated that 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Of course, 1 in 3 women will develop heart diseaseand I don’t see a million red products floating around (the heart disease symbol is a red dress.) My mom’s breast cancer went into remission; it was the ovarian cancer that nearly killed her (what color will those products be? Maroon?)

I will probably have breast cancer someday. I’m not too scared because it is often curable if caught in time (and I intend to make sure it is with regular mammograms and exams.)
So yes, I’ve heard of breast cancer, but I don’t really see how buying something pink makes other people aware of breast cancer.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , ,

1. Debb 05/15/2013 at 9:27 pm

I love pink! I really do! But I also love purple! Really, don’t girly-girls like me like pink and purple? Sure they do! But I like purple because it is the awareness color of domestic violence- which is also in October! Bet not many people even know that because all-things-pink outshine the sun, especially in Oct. I’m absolutely not against pink as I too have had many friends and relatives touched by breast cancer as it seems most people do. And I do support breast cancer research and buy the pink stuff when its something I like and would buy anyway. However I am a Domestic Violence Survivor and I wear Purple! Every single day of October I wear something purple, not pink. I love the NFL but it makes me not want to watch football that month because of pink overkill. DV is just as prevalent in society and needs just as much awareness as breast cancer. Wear PURPLE this October!

2. No kore pink 10/16/2011 at 10:25 am

Too much pink, its even in football. I now am anti breast awareness and will avoid such products due to the annoyance

3. Ginny 10/11/2011 at 11:31 am

I love pink, but I do cringe sometimes when I see the stores overflowing with pink products. I’m glad to hear others do as well. While I’m so thankful that there are causes out there, etc I do get over loaded it and even annoyed sometimes.

Now not saying that I don’t always purchase the pink version, I’m a girl & I have 2 girls. We have pink everywhere, lol. My teen wears her I love boobies bracelet everywhere.

I think a part of me wishes that the donations supported every type of cancer vs just one. I did have a great aunt with breast cancer, every family member that has died from it each has had a different form. My mom has/had thyroid cancer & I have a nodule that the doctor told me expect cancer. I with the pink craze covered ALL CANCER support & research.

4. Lauren Combs 10/10/2011 at 4:19 pm

I would wear pink ribbon to support a friend…or a friend of a friend. I will donate….in my own name, thank you, not to the grocery store or the company who will then donate in their own name (for tax purposes), and if I really think a company will donate a part of the proceeds to research, I might opt for their product over an equivalent. But this year, the pink started popping up months ago. Too much gives the public pink fatigue and we stop noticing…or get irritated. Now the “Save the boobies” campaigns…those i\I notice and laugh with.

5. Judy 10/10/2011 at 3:58 pm

I was surprised to see pink packaged Kroger brand lunch meat like smoked turkey, ham etc, which is the ultimate irony since processed meat is on the suspect list for causing breast cancer. It’s like, here… buy and consume this product and support breast cancer by getting it! Duh!

6. Pingback: My Friend Has Cancer, Now What? « « DFW Mama DFW Mama

7. metaburn 10/04/2011 at 7:52 am

if the research for other type of cancer comes fast, hundreds of life can be saved

8. jen 10/03/2011 at 12:27 pm

I often get annoyed at all the attention breast cancer gets- and it seems like the disease with the most money gets all of the attention- that is probably how the research for a cure works as well. Breast cancer has celebrities advertising for it-and companies putting it on their products- why don’t they do the same for all of the other types of cancer and maybe research would be coming along faster for those areas as well. My mother died of a malignant brain tumor- and I have a friend whose 7 year old son is battling one now- their are a lot of other cancers out there that could use all of the advertising and support that breast cancer gets.

9. Carrie 10/03/2011 at 11:10 am

If I need to buy something, e.g., corn starch, baking soda, yogurt, etc., I will buy the pink version if it happens to be there because I’m under the impression that some part of the proceeds from the purchase goes to research. But I’m not going to buy pink appliances or clothes.

10. Kalli 10/03/2011 at 8:20 am

My MIL was diagnoses with early stage breast cancer 2 weeks ago. She’s having surgery tomorrow and starts radiation in two weeks. I have worn the “I heart boobies” bracelet Wendy gave me every day since she was diagnosed more as a show of support than anything.

Pink aside we should be encouraging the women in our lives to have regular, complete physicals. Early detection of all types of cancer saves lives and my MIL’s prognosis is excellent because of it.

• Carina Wytiaz 10/03/2011 at 8:27 am

Absolutely.

Do you think these pink products help women remember to get a physical/mammogram? Honestly asking.

11. Jeanne Callahan 10/03/2011 at 8:00 am

Ovarian Cancer’s color is teal…my entire family wore teal bracelets for a year to support my aunt as she went through treatment, thankfully, successfully!

12. Elisabeth 10/03/2011 at 7:55 am

I agree completely and I’m glad to know somebody else feels the same way!