Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

No Time to Manage My Life

When I sat down to write this post all I could think of was how much more I needed to do before I could go to bed. Honestly, The List is out of control. Don’t ask me what The List is, you know what The List is.  There is not enough time in one day to do everything I need to do, have to do, least of all want to do. You always hear people joking about how “there’s not enough time in a day!” but you guys, seriously, there isn’t.I’m a working mom with kids and a newborn. My time is the scarcest it will probably ever be. I don’t know how I do it, and the truth is, that I really don’t.

That amazing trip to Hawaii I went on for work a couple weeks ago? It put me so into the hole on housework and laundry that I’m just now catching up. It’s all well and good to tell me that I need to have a schedule and stick to it, but we’re just barely hanging on. So you clean the bathroom once a week. I have to clean it every day (or I needto clean it every day, no comment on how often it’s really cleaned,) because my little boys have confused the bathroom floor and walls with a urinal. You could tell me to teach my boys, and I try, but women have been encouraging penile control since the dawn of time–I don’t think I’m going to solve it before we have to be out the door for preschool. On the plus side, I am teaching/forcing them to clean the bathrooms themselves, but we all know how that process goes.There are plenty of things that I have just let go–the idea of a hot breakfast every morning for my kids, for example. I was raised with hot breakfast. I can’t stomach the idea of getting up 15 minutes earlier to get a hot breakfast on the table (mostly because I went to bed just three hours before I had to wake up.)Thanks to that wonderful combination of newborn sleepless nights and elementary aged children, there have been at least three days this year when I slept through ALL of my THREE alarms and had to drive my kids who missed the bus to school, late.I’m only saved from not having the worst yard in the neighborhood by one merciful house down the street. Please, neighbors, never stop your lackadaisical landscaping because I do not have the time to fix mine.

I know I’m not alone, just check out this graphic from Claudia’s blog, My Fascinating Life:

Thanks for the laugh, Claudia. No thanks for the tears I cried in empathy.

How about you?  How are you managing this most busy season in your life?

1. Pingback: Best Ways to Get Organized TodaysMama

2. Cathy 10/18/2011 at 6:59 pm

The good thing about the crappy yard is that it’ll snow soon enough and you won’t have to worry about it until spring. At least that’s what I keep telling myself about all the weeds I have yet to pull.

3. corrina @ Embrace This Day 10/18/2011 at 10:53 am

OH, this is so me today. I feel like I’m drowning. Well, some weeks I’m barely keeping my head above water and this week it’s up to my eyeballs. I’ll go back to having my head above water, but it’s always threatening to rise again. I wish I knew the answers or could figure them out. I keep telling myself, it must just be this season, it has to get better, it must be the ages of my kids etc. I’m just glad I’m not the only one.

4. Laura Lee 10/17/2011 at 2:55 pm

I am drinking a RockStar right now and nursing my 7 week old…I am pretty sure I am going to hell….this is NOT a habit but was an absolute desperate act today. A newborn, toddler, kindergartner, 1st grader in a 2 bedroom house that is old and falling apart. I am old (43) and falling apart with a min of 3 hours of sleep a night. The only consolation is knowing that I am not alone…and having to just laugh at the mess I am in…not to mention the extra 60 lbs that has mis-shaped my body and zapped my already waning energy. I will keep trying to find humor as long as you wonderful women let me know I am not alone and you are out there too!

5. Shelley 10/17/2011 at 12:44 pm

I love the graphs! Ha ha! It sure does help to laugh at how busy we are! Right now, I am in the middle (and have been) of a pantry and office reorganizing project. The “quiet crying” is gone or much shorter sincw I got plugged in to the Family Manager system, especially the Daily Hit List, which is a like a categorized to-do list. Now I am all about achieving more, playing more, and resting more, but enjoying the imperfection of the process and not taking myself too seriously. One of my favorite tips is number two in this blog post of mine!

6. cracking up 10/15/2011 at 1:13 pm

This is hilarious. You just made my day.

7. Erin Oltmanns 10/10/2011 at 8:10 pm

“Savoring every precious minute” BWAHAHAHAHA!

This is how I felt April – August. Dang newborns! Jacking up the schedule and making us all tired and inadequate feeling!

8. celeste 10/10/2011 at 6:34 pm

gotta gloat. i love reading your website because i needed it back when my kids were your age, but it did not exist. i got through it without you. it was not easy but i did. you will get through this, too. until then: enjoy the ride. i’m on the other side of all this and IT IS W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L.

9. claudia 10/10/2011 at 1:37 pm

Ha, you are WELCOME.

I only wish it was even partially fiction.

10. Raejean 10/10/2011 at 9:26 am

Most women have been there, are there, or will be there. I pretty much have a 14 month memory gap after my twins were born. The only thing I vaguely remember doing besides taking care of babies was doing dishes (and eating chocolate for sanity).

The thing that kept me going, besides the chocolate, was knowing they wouldn’t be babies forever. I’m pretty sure I chanted “This too will pass” through out the day.

Good luck!

11. Michelle {Fun On A Dime} 10/10/2011 at 9:09 am

Lol! I totally know how you feel! I’ve been attempting at being more organized and scheduled…attempting! I did come across a webinar from Power of Moms that was great to listen to and helped relieve quite a bit of stress in my life. All great reminders and they break down the important stuff into 5 steps. I have realized a lot of my stress is self-inflicted and they confirmed that I’m not the only one! lol Here’s the link for the webinar if you want to listen to it (http://www.anymeeting.com/powerofmoms/E953D986844B). Just helpful tips to reduce your task list and such and I listend to it while I was cleaning the kitchen and my kiddos were coloring nearby. Hope it helps!

12. Erica Fehrman 10/10/2011 at 9:01 am

Oh man, this is how I felt all summer. The only thing that’s helping now is that I have 3 mornings a week with no kids, and I get most of my work done then. Without this blessing, I’ve found that cleaning is the first to go, decent meals follow, and the need to ditch everyone and go work at the library in the evening is a last resort. Well, except for those evenings when I greet my just-home-from-work husband with a half empty G&T.

• Erin Oltmanns 10/10/2011 at 8:08 pm

LOL! Erica, you crack me up. Maybe I need to start enjoying a G&T.

13. whitneyingram 10/10/2011 at 7:30 am

Ugh. I know this all too well. Approximately every six months, I have a sob fest about my time and how I suck at doing anything. If I track it, it’s when I have filled my plate with too much. Volunteering at school, church calling, VTing, writing an blasted cookbook. I realize I have to scale back and be realistic with my life.

My current secret to laundry, school, mothering, wifing, cooking and cleaning is getting up before my whole house. I hated the thought of having to use an alarm, but the cold hard truth is that getting up and getting ready for the day is the true secret to success. If I can be up before everyone and sit in my quiet house for 15 or so minutes and center myself, my productivity soars.

14. soybeanlover 10/10/2011 at 7:29 am

Would it be too much to ask to have all night owls or all morning people as my children? Why must the baby and the kindergardener wake up at 5:30, and yet the almost 3 yr old not fall asleep until 10?

It’s turned into fall outside, wonder when the season will change inside?