Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

No Pets In My House

We are a no pet house.

I have terrible allergies to animal dander and so does my husband. I’m worse with cats, he’s worse with dogs, but we’re both  hopeless cases. We can’t even sleep with regular down pillows; they leave us with stuffy noses! In my case, I have a family history of developing allergies with exposure. That’s a fancy way of saying that I have allergies because my neighbors had kittens.

You see, when I was five or six, our next door neighbors had a litter of kittens. Is there anything more adorable than kittens? Those tiny mews, miniature teeth, little paws, just widdle widdle balls of fur! Little girls can’t resist the cute! My parents tried to warn me that if I did I’d develop life-long allergies, but how does that even compute to a six-year-old? I would sneak over every day to play with those kittens. My eyes started itching. I started sneezing. But those kittens were so adorable I couldn’t stop.  Every time I went over my body started reacting more and more. Every exposure to other neighbors’ pets increased my allergies, to the point where my eyes and throat would swell closed, endangering my life.

I stopped touching animals.

Now I have kids and I know that they bear the same kind of allergic risk. With too much exposure they will also develop life-long allergies.  That’s why even though my then six-year-old came home with giant tears in his eyes begging for a kitten I said a firm, “No.”  Under no circumstances.

We’ll never have a pet in our house.

At this point the idea of a dog or a cat in the house seems like the height of crazy. I have a barely toilet trained four-year-old and a newborn, the last thing I want is another creature whose toilet habits I have to monitor. Even an outside dog terrifies me with extra responsibility. And can you really have an only-outside dog? Something tells me that’s probably impossible. So we live without animals, and that’s just fine with me.

What about you? Are you a one pet, no pet, or a menagerie type of house? Can you imagine life without the companionship of a pet?

More Posts on TodaysMama.com

The Perfect Family Weekend

What Mama Does During the Day

Woodland Friends Tree

1. Mike S 12/02/2012 at 5:00 pm

Finally, there is someone who shares my views on living with an animal. Have lived with them inside for years, but lately, have not. I LOVE IT! Have had a good night’s sleep 3 nights in a row, and KNOW it is due to being alone: No whining, whimpering, begging, puking, peeing, or smell. WHAT A RELIEF!!!!!

2. Pingback: How I Lost the Pet Chinchilla, Freed the Crickets, and Ended up at the Desntist TodaysMama

3. Karen 10/17/2011 at 3:45 pm

I cannot imagine life without pets. We have a dog, had a cat who recently passed and saved a parakeet! We feel it teaches about care of a creature, sometimes above your own wants, i.e., we can’t stop for ice cream, because the dog needs to go out, etc. And, explaining life and death in regards to our cat was amazing practice for the more serious matter of losing someone you love. I’m sorry your allergies are so tough! What about a fish? 😉

4. Eva gephart 10/17/2011 at 1:12 pm

I have 3 big dogs. They are inside on the bed on the furniture and I would not have it any other way. Yes extra vet bills extra mess but the love that you get in return is priceless . Every day they teach me to be a better person. I do not think anybody that gets a dog to be a outside dog needs a dog.

5. Carrie 10/11/2011 at 8:38 pm

I grew up with cats, and now I have two of my own, Clark Kent and Lex Luthor (I know…adorbs). I’ve lived without cats, but I always missed having a cat around to cuddle with. I shan’t be doing that ever again.

6. Sisifo 10/11/2011 at 4:50 pm

We have a tortoise and she’s the perfect pet. She eats lettuce (good example for kids if they don’t like veggies) she’s quiet, she’s easy to clean up, and easy to take care of.
    Hubs wants a cat, and I wouldn’t mind a dog later in life. When we move into our house we’ll have to see. If we get anything furry, it WILL live outside. (Heated dog house. Love it.)

7. Erica 10/11/2011 at 2:45 pm

I always had a dog growing up, and my husband and I got a dog during our pre-kid years. We treated her like a kid. Then we had real kids and realized our dog was a dog. We still have her, but yes a dog adds to the household responsibility load. Still, I think we’ll always have a dog. Rodent pets gross me out and fish are just a pain. I don’t trust cats–think they might turn and eat my eyes out while I sleep.

8. Suebob 10/11/2011 at 1:07 pm

I have always had pets and love them so much. But I’m first to admit that you have to be committed, because they WILL mess up your life – your schedule, your furniture, your bank account. It’s like having small furry children who never develop intellectually and who will always depend on you for every single thing.

9. Celeste 10/11/2011 at 12:55 pm

we have 2 dogs, I grew up with pets of many varieties and I don’t want to give that up when we do have kids, I love my pets, although if my kids had allergies I would avoid pets until we found one that they were not allergic too

10. Shelby 10/11/2011 at 11:42 am

No pets. I would like some in the future but for now hubby has stood firm ground on no pets for at least three years. Our boys are only 2 and 4 so they are not ready for any sort of responsibility that comes with a pet and I don’t need another child right now. 🙂

11. Rachael Herrscher 10/11/2011 at 11:41 am

I have a long list of pets that are going to greet me at the gates of heaven and deny my entry. We do have a dog, but I’m not responsible for him.

12. Annette 10/11/2011 at 10:30 am

We’ve got an indoor cat. Two of my kids have really minor allergies to it, but only if she scratches them when playing–the scratch will swell a bit, but hydro cortizone takes care of it.

DH believes kids need pets. He wants a dog. I’ve told him that I will not take on the responsibility of another living being. So if *he* wants to train, feed, walk, and otherwise care for a dog, he can. But I will never, ever do any of that. (Because the moment I walk/feed/clean up poop for a dog, it’ll be my job forever.) I’ve also nixed the “Well, the kids can do it for chores” thing, because then it’s still MY job to make sure the chore gets done. (Hello, they’re children.) He keeps planning on getting a dog “this spring,” something he’s been saying for about 15 years. I doubt it’ll ever happen.

But I kinda do like the kitty.

13. ~j. 10/11/2011 at 10:27 am

No pets. I’m busy with the people.