COO for TodaysMama.com; Mom of 3, love walking, baking, beautiful paper and pretending to be organized.

Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes

Need a blue-ribbon chocolate cupcake recipe? After testing nearly every cupcake cookbook and recipe out there, my mom and I agreed this is the best chocolate cupcakes recipe. Period. Moist chocolate cake with just a few chocolate chips mixed in — Mmm Mmmmm!

Sometime between batches 423 and 425, we discovered another chocolate cupcake recipe with a marshmallow center– Brilliant! Only the cupcakes were hollow and hard.. a total disaster!

What to do? We used this favorite and created our own chocolate cupcake recipe by adding a large marshmallow after it comes out of the oven.  Be sure to cover the marshmallow completely with frosting to keep your secret. Voila! Marshmallow Stuffed Cupcakes!

Best Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcake Recipe from TodaysMama.com

BEST CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES RECIPE

1¼ cups flour

½ cup cocoa powder

¾ teaspoon soda

¼ teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

¾ cup buttermilk

½ cup semisweet chocolate chips

(12 large marshmallows)

Combine dry ingredients. Beat together sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.  Whisk in  dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating, begining and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Scoop into prepared muffin pan.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back lightly when touched.  Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes; remove and cool completely on rack. Frost with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes

*Want to make the best chocolate cupcakes recipe even better? After cooling 5 minutes spoon or scoop small indent in center of cake and insert large marshmallow. Marshmallow Stuffed Cupcakes!

Scooping the Cupcake Center for Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes on TodaysMama.com

Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe on TodaysMama.com

Makes one dozen cupcakes.

Adapted from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING FOR MARSHMALLOW STUFFED CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

1 cup butter, softened

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled

1 ½ cups powdered sugar

Blend until spreading consistency.

From The Buttercup Bake Shop Cookbook

More yummy things:

Magnolia Vanilla Cupcakes

Best Easy Bundt Cake Recipe

White Chocolate Decadence

Enjoy this marshmallow stuffed chocolate cupcake recipe!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Nerie 06/07/2016 at 9:03 pm

Want to try you recipe…😊

2. Pingback: PROTAGONISTA DE LA MESA: CUPCAKES PROFESIONALES – LUZ ANGELA

3. Pingback: paleo enchiladas, grain free enchiladas, gluten free enchiladas Most popular in ... - Urban Angels

4. liz 09/11/2015 at 4:11 pm

Can i use olive oil iinstead of vegetable oil?

5. Pingback: Cupcake Ideas for Your Next Party or Event | MyOP Blog

6. Pingback: Ice Cream Sandwich Krispie Treats - TodaysMama

7. Pingback: Best+Chocolate+Cupcake+Recipe - ZuziFeed

8. Pingback: Best+Chocolate+Cupcake+Recipe - ZuziFeed

9. ovilia 03/03/2015 at 8:09 pm

omg!i am wrong dose the milk results cake too dry !!so sorry i try it again,and this recipe is very fine! Thanks!!!

10. Diana 10/27/2014 at 10:27 pm

Hi Amy! The semi sweet chocolate goes in the cupcake batter whole, right? we don’t melt them… I tried making this two days ago and the marshmallows didn’t melt like they were supposed to. Also, my cupcakes were dry.. Help!

11. Pingback: THE BITTERSWEET SERIES by J.L.BECK | Cheeky Chicks Book Hangover

12. Jarred 10/04/2014 at 11:36 pm

Very nice post. I absolutely love this site. Continue the good work!

13. liz 09/11/2014 at 8:02 pm

Hi. I want to make more than a dozen. Has anyone tried doubling the recipe?

14. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - SLC Momentum Climbing Birthday Party Giveaway

15. Connie Helbig 03/18/2014 at 1:51 pm

Hi, i have tried these cupcakes and everybody loves them. I had a Cutter for cupcakes that cut out a small amount in the middle Part of it, so i could fill in the marshmallow perfectly and fast enough to melt just right. Thanks a lot, I will keep doing these as our family favorites.

• Amy Allen Johnson 03/18/2014 at 2:06 pm

Hi Connie, I’m so glad to hear! I find that if I need to make cupcakes, these are still the go-to cupcakes in our house too!

16. Pingback: Day 164 – Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes | my year of cupcakes

17. Melanie 11/14/2013 at 9:01 am

These look awesome! My only question is…does the marshmallow melt at all once placed in the cooled cupcake? I am really looking for a creamy center rather then hard

• Amy Allen Johnson 11/14/2013 at 2:37 pm

Hi Melanie, I find the marshmallows actually do melt and end up being more like a filling than “stuffed”. I start removing centers about 3 min after they come out. The steam from the cupcake melts. If you do it too soon, the cupcake may fall apart and the marshmallow turns syrupy. Wait too long and you’ll have a firm center. Also, I find the generic brand marshmallows have a lower gelatin content than Kraft Jet-Puffed. Good luck in your quest!

18. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - Kids' Paper Crafts--Projects Perfect for Little Hands

19. Brad 07/03/2013 at 5:23 pm

Sorry again for the copyright issue Amy. We will ask you next time for permission before we post any of your recipes. We will be removing the following page http://recipesharingcommunity.blogspot.ca/2013/06/marshmallow-stuffed-chocolate-cupcakes.html.

20. Valeria 06/20/2013 at 11:55 am

I am going to try this delicious cupcake. Can I substitute the shortening for butter? Thanks so much for share this with us.

21. Marjolein 05/21/2013 at 12:32 pm

Are your cups English or American cups? I’ll have to bring in the calculator; I’m Dutch and we only use the metric system. That won’t stop me frm making these awesome-looking cupcakes, though!

• Amy 06/20/2013 at 3:06 pm

Hello! I use American cups to measure the flour.
      Here’s my best guess on the main ingredient conversions
      172 g flour
      42 g cocoa powder
      5 ml baking soda
      1 ml salt
      198 g sugar
      80 mL vegetable oil
      5 mL vanilla
      177 mL buttermilk
      + a good handful of chocolate chips

Good luck!

22. Pingback: Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes | Dreamy Blog

23. Dezarae 01/09/2013 at 2:07 pm

Made these today for my son’s Awanas group and they are amazing! Definitely the best cupcake recipe I’ve ever made! Thank you

• Amy 01/09/2013 at 2:19 pm

Ooh, you just made my day! So glad to hear you enjoyed them. Which reminds me.. I haven’t made these in a while. Time to find the marshmallows!

24. Amy 11/11/2012 at 5:35 pm

The marshmallow does melt a bit, but it has more to do with how long you wait after they’re out of the oven and how fresh your mallows are. I’ll typically end up with the tops sticking out and they’re still hard, but the bottom is gooey-ish. Have fun!

25. Roz 11/11/2012 at 5:27 pm

I tried the hard/hollow version you referred to and found the same problem. Glad to see you came up with a different idea. Did the marshmallow melt and become creamy after it was inserted into the warm cupcake or pretty much just stay as a marshmallow?

26. Pingback: Yellow Cake Mix Helen Jane Style « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

27. Pingback: Mini Food Recipes - Muffin Tin Recipes TodaysMama

28. Best Cookies In New York 12/07/2011 at 12:26 am

Lots of good information in your posting, I would like to tweet your blog post so I can visit again in the near future.

29. Pingback: Magnolia Cupcake Recipe - Vanilla TodaysMama

30. Pingback: Mocha Cupcake Recipe Utah Mama

31. Pingback: White Chocolate Decadence « « Portland Mama Portland Mama

32. Pingback: Double Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Frosting « « Portland Mama Portland Mama

33. Pingback: Chocolate French Toast Recipe « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

34. Pingback: Smores Bars Recipe TodaysMama

35. perfect radiance 10/22/2011 at 5:15 am

I am not understanding why its happening with me today? I am on weight loss diet and I saw 2 pics today. First was a ice cream pic and now this is second. I am hungry, should I eat?

36. Shannon 10/21/2011 at 12:35 am

Ooohhh, a new recipe for Chocolate Party 2012!! I think you guys need to take a Bay Area field trip in January….

37. Erin Oltmanns 10/20/2011 at 8:28 pm

When I lose 30 lbs I am going to celebrate with one…dozen…of these! 😉

• Amy Allen Johnson 10/20/2011 at 10:10 pm

I feel like the counter punch to your Healthy Eating goals… like I should sneak a post in when you’re not looking. I’m a happy chef for your minus 30 party!

38. BreAnne 10/20/2011 at 7:24 pm

Gluten allergy be damned, I’m in !

39. Julia 10/20/2011 at 2:16 pm

I saw these on pinterest. I can not WAIT to try them. A marshmallow, in the middle of a perfect chocolate cupcake. Brilliant and delicious.

40. Thom Allen 10/20/2011 at 2:06 pm

I am passing this on to my daughter Amy, who is the desert chef in our family. Yum! (Thanks for sharing on FB @Rachael)

41. Rachael Herrscher 10/20/2011 at 1:28 pm

seriously my favorite chocolate cupcakes ever!